R129 brake line corrosion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demetrios

Car
R129 500SL
Hi everyone
The SL has been SORN since December for winter in a garage and is due service MOT and Tax when it comes out.
Looked at previous MOT notes and it says there is corrosion on brake lines. Has anyone fitted Tarox ones?
Mercedes 129 Series 500SL 5.0 From Years: 1989-1993 Tarox BRAKE LINE KITS 4 Line Kit

Also after its MOT and Tax gonna take it to Andy Gayle for B service (£250+vat.
Has anyone used andy Gayle in Birmingham for their merc?

I suspect it's the fixed steel lines that have corroded, rather than the hoses.

If it's just mild surface corrosion, black Waxoyl is my solution.

I think they are just the flexible hoses.Surly corroded brake lines refers to the metal lines.

A wire brush and a tin of copper grease is your friend..

I suspect it's the fixed steel lines that have corroded, rather than the hoses.

If it's just mild surface corrosion, black Waxoyl is my solution.

So what are the part number for fixed steel lines?

I'm not a diy guy not on the car,more like a demolition man so if its more than checking oil and fluid reservoirs I tend to leave alone :D

It would be pointless buying the metal lines from the main dealer as they don't come pre formed anyway. They'd be selling you a coil of metal pipe of roughly the correct length.

Any mechanic would be able to replace them for you, and probably use either copper or cupro nickel (cunifer), neither of which corrode like the steel lines Mercedes used at the factory.

It would be pointless buying the metal lines from the main dealer as they don't come pre formed anyway.

I thought they did & that is why the dealer needs to drop suspension & fuel tank etc to fit replacements, which explains the high cost. That was certainly the case for mine anyway.

Russ

Yes beware if you are getting brake lines made up by another garage... Make sure you get them to follow the original factory routing.

I've seen some horrible bodges in the past that have cost to put right... Brake lines running over fuel tanks and dangerously close to suspension components...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom