R129 car cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
Usually park the car in the garage but since COVID hit had to use it to store some boxes and stuff for work (while working from home). Did not want the new soft top to be exposed to the deluge of rain forecast this weekend so bought a relatively cheap car cover on eBay and managed to fit it the right way around first time (no markings to indicate the front or rear. It looks okay but not as nice as some of the more expensive ones)

56B99A3C-A63E-4BD7-9560-1F98AAB4816D.jpeg

it did inspire me to clean up the garage a bit and loaded the car to take stuff to the tip tomorrow and should be able to put the r129 back in the garage again tomorrow.

at least it will have a nice dustcover inside :)

This is something I have been wondering about.
My SL is going to be outside this winter and I'd like recommendations for/ experiences of a good outside cover.
Ivan

The one I have is okay for the occasional downpour but have a read thru this thread

You can get much better covers but you will pay more as well, to give you an idea mine was about £75.

The one I have does not have any padding on the inside and the wind flaps it about quite a bit (there are 2 straps you can attach to prevent it from taking off :)

I would not use an outdoor cover, as with the wind moving the cover you will get a rubbing motion between the cover & paint which will cause fine scratches. Also if using the car you will get the same, putting it on/off. Better just giving it a wash more often. Indoor cover is a different thing. My S63 Coupe is off the road in the winter (near 600bhp & rear drive, not best idea in ice) & lives under a cover which is not removed for months. Keeps car spotless in the garage. If you have a soft top get a cover that only covers the roof & front/rear screens or as I did when I had my F type Gtechniq has a water repellent (Smart Fabric) for convertibles or there is Renovo. Have not used it, but gets good reviews

The one I have is okay for the occasional downpour but have a read thru this thread

You can get much better covers but you will pay more as well, to give you an idea mine was about £75.

The one I have does not have any padding on the inside and the wind flaps it about quite a bit (there are 2 straps you can attach to prevent it from taking off :)
Many thanks, I did do a search for "car cover" but missed this.
Chic0821, not really an issue as the car has as many colours as it has panels!

not really an issue as the car has as many colours as it has panels!
Nice description, guess your not a car obsessive:rolleyes::) Try them, had one for my F type, very good

LOL, surprisingly I used (many years ago) to paint professionally. When I do get round to painting it I will be much more obsessive. I'll also have garage space available.

Used a Monsoon fully waterproof car cover on my car every winter for 6 years now . Not many covers would lasted half this time . And as for the rubbing the car paint,,then yes it might, even though they are fleece lined . So i use thermal bed sheets on the car body first DSC06089.JPG. No problems with my paint .

Halfords does an incredibly good cover with a poly thermal lining. In my experience, this does a good job protecting from minor impacts vs the cheaper options out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom