R129 centre console - replacing the cassette holder with something more useful (pics)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The price of said part according to Inchcape is now £29.40

Have the prices really jumped so much or is Inchcape getting greedy?

It's not Inchcape's fault. MB are greedy and playing on the poor Pound/Euro.

Ever heard the quote "bad things happen when he's around"

I think you need some skates (very old ones mind) in your boot. Next time the destroyer asks for a lift tell him you have an even better option. Offer him the skates (make sure you buckle him in yourself) and hopefully he'll skate away into the horizon never to bother your car again..until tomorrow at work.

Have a read here.

Many thanks for the tips on this replacement worked a real treat and now have some useful space in the car.... cheers!

You're welcome :)

And welcome to the forum, btw!

please where did you get the new sliding flexible panels from as my black plastic handles that fit the tambor sliders have come off and are broken, consequently i don't think they sell just the handles do they....but it is those that i need ... the sliders are ok but even old intact ones would do ...Steve

hi i'm just inquiring where to buy pieces 26 and 29 sliding covers for my sl 320 as portrayed in BTB500's diagram. would be thankful ....Steverupi

Inchcape or an MB dealer can order them for you.

Make sure you're sitting down with no valuables nearby when you inquire about the price ;)

Storage bin

OK you have the standard cassette holder in the centre console of your R129 - wasted space.

First order your part ... there's a very expensive (£180+) CD holder replacement, or a nice felt-lined plain storage bin for £12.88 plus VAT ;)

bin01.jpg

bin02.jpg

Now you have to get the cassette holder out. You need to know that it's retained by two sprung lugs at the front:

bin04.jpg

And four at the back:

bin05.jpg

I used some of the "sample" credit cards I get bombarded with through the post (shown on the passenger seat, below). Slide them down between the end of the cassette holder and the rest of the console and you can push the lugs in. With both ends done like this, the holder unit simply lifts out:

bin03.jpg

Unplug the lamp holder, I removed the bulb and tucked the wire safely away under the cigarette lighter section.

The new storage bin now just pushes in, and the lugs lock it in place ... ta da:

bin06.jpg

Now you can plan what to do with all that extra space! ;)

Hope this is useful, that cassette holder seems to be a common source of annoyance on the R129!
Have done what you have suggested - however, cost from Greenoaks Ascot now £35.00 (inc. VAT) - a bit of a price difference from your purchase. I suppose thats inflation for you.

I think M-B parts generally have gone up in recent years ... particularly the things that were surprisingly cheap to start off with! Glad I got my R129 sorted out when I did - I needed a trim panel for the boot (that covers the wind deflector) which was a special order from Germany - that would probably be an arm and a leg now!

Don't know if there's any price variation between dealers or whether they're all obliged to sell parts at M-B's RRP.

Dread to think what the CD holder would be then. 7 years ago that was over £180.

Dread to think what the CD holder would be then. 7 years ago that was over £180.
Hi Bill
Can you advise how to replace cassette and ashtray covers with wood covers
I have replaced the cassette holder after reading your post which was quite
easy, i assume the covers won't be as easy to do.
I have seen your previous diagram, however, this does not appear that clear, please can you clarify the procedure in more detail if you can.
Many thanks
Terry (Tanuie)

This is a genuine MB Cupholder in my car

sl60int3a.jpg

sl60int5a.jpg

Note a big issue is losing the cigar lighter... I wired one up hid it in case I ever need to power something..

Bet there wasn't a lot of change from fifty squideroos for the cup holders.

I have the original cassette holder if anyone is interested.

Jay, that rubber matting in the cubby hole....is it easy to source?

Job done. One of those few jobs that was easy than expected. I found that business cards were sufficient to press the tabs. I also taped the LED wire up a bit in case it might cause a rattle. Other than that and probably stating the obvious but just be careful not to damage the trimmed edges of the main console as it's a very close fit.

Thanks for the how to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom