R129 Coolant change or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
My Coolant was changed in 2007 when I purchased the car and again in 2017 (by MB in MK and Indie respectively)

I am not sure if 10yr interval is the correct one. I am trying to do the simple maintenance stuff like (oil, filters, brake fluid, spark plugs etc and disc brakes/pads) but will defer to the Indie for suspension and more complicated engine/gearbox matters and am wondering whether it is time to change the coolant.

This pdf indicates that the coolant should be changed every 3 years, and not 10 but it has been serviced annually by 2x different Indie's since 2009 and only 1 decided to change it in 2017

Just purchased a £8 Sealey coolant tester to check the Coolant status
a) Coolant is looking very clear and
b) gives me the best possible protection up to minus 40degrees Celsius so not entire certain whether to change the coolant or not.

If I do have to change it any good tips (will get the MB coolant from the MB dealer) on process (and do you mix it with ionised water? and what ratio should I use for UK weather

Well your coolant specs might be different to mine but every three years as far as i know . But waterless is a longer lasting product my be yours is filled up with a waterless type.

Well your coolant specs might be different to mine but every three years as far as i know . But waterless is a longer lasting product my be yours is filled up with a waterless type.
in 2007 MB put in 000989082510 which is MB 325.0 and is long life, not sure what was used in 2017 by the Indie which is more important, I may ask them what they used just to be certain.

Given that it still seems to be clear and functioning well I will leave it for now but will check it again next year.

So tell us just what type the coolant it is ?. waterless ? may be

Found a reference which says that the 000989082510 which is B 325.0 should be mixed with water (50/50) but that was put in the car in 2007 and not sure what was used in 2017.

But regardless of what was put in I like to know what should go in. My guess is that the MB garage would know what they are doing and this would suggest using 000989082510

But my knowledge of coolant is very limited

I am old school and as long as i have had cars 3 years was the limit on all coolant mix i have used .May be there are other antifreezes out now but i dont know about it as yet. Waterless is a longer lasting antifreeze .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom