R129 duo valve/coolant circulation pump

RichardF

Car
Sl 320
Okay so coolant leak from this area, stupid place to put them under the brake servo, can't see properly or work easily down there.

I suspected the duo valve, I've had the thing apart in the past, to clean it up when jammed.

However I can't see any obvious leak, the coolant circulator heater water pump lives below it. Covered in coolant but that may have just dripped out when I was pulling the hoses off. Neither the pump or the valve or the hoses are showing any tell-tails of leaking coolant.

The hoses look good (although I may trim the ends back)

Q1) Can anyone think of way of testing them from leaking off the car?
Q2) Is the coolant heater pump really necessary? Should I just bypass it?

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
The pump you can by pass it .Just need a piece of copper pipe.And clips .I have read that you realy need this pump in situ .It is used to cool down coolant after switching of, and also to stop hot spots in the cooling system And the pump on the engine is not sufficient to do on its own . But i know lots of members have removed them ,or by passed them on the forum. My self, i would not, its there for a reason .But its up to you .

OP
OP
R

RichardF

Car
Sl 320
.It is used to cool down coolant after switching of, and also to stop hot spots in the cooling system .
I've heard this but not sure if it applies to all models or just the later ones. I know it's for rest function on the climate control (which I'm unlikely to use)

The pump on this model is situated on the return side of the duo valve, how efficient would this be @ circulating coolant around the engine?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom