r129 electrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geoff19

Car
mercedes e220
:mad:my R129 has a flat battery which is in the boot, being unable to get into the boot without power need a jump start point, being a 1998 it dont have one under the hood, any one had this problem before? any help appreciated.

You should have a terminal under the bonnet where you can attach a power supply from a charger or jump cables as illustrated below. You should then be able to unlock the boot with the remote fob.

Wil your boot not open with the emergency key blade?

Dec

527006d1373817592-cable-box-charge-point.jpg

the R129 has not got that there, exhausted that avenue before.thanks for trying though.

Just out of curiosity why cant you open the boot? Did they remove the lock on the facelift as I have one on mine.

What I did on my BMW is feed 12V into the cigarette lighter socket, this allowed me to to open the boot.

hi thanks, the r129 wont trickle through the cigar lighter, bought a solar power one and found out after, the boot has a key lock but needs power for it to work.

stopped a guy driving one today and asked if he had ever had the same problem, it turned out he was test driving a customers car! when he tried to open the boot on this it would not open too. sods law in action.

Take it to a Merc dealer and ask them to show you the under bonnet jump start terminal...it's there I promise.

If the boot has a slot for a key then it will/should open with the emergency key blade, no power needed.

Perhaps the boot lock is seized or you are not operating the key in the lock in the correct manner.

Dec

attachment.php

Are you sure it wont allow current to flow via the cigarette lighter with the ignition on?

I remember the first time I used my boot lock it felt unnaturally stiff, now Im used to the resistance required to open it.

I have a battery isolater so the battery is disconnected to stop it draining , I have to open the boot whenever I decide to use the car

Thats easier said than done with a car that dont start. :fail

meant to edit as realized it won't start,got distracted,go to the parts dept
and get them to get it on screen for you:doh:

take your vin number too.

Last edited:
I never knew about position 3!

Position 3 locks the boot so that it can’t be opened by any other means other than the key blade.
The lock will feel tight when the key is turned towards position 3, the key will turn, if the lock is not seized up.

Dec

Last edited:
If all else fails, connect a 12v supply to a permanent live terminal in the main fusebox under the bonnet; that will give you enough to operate the central locking and get into the boot. There is a risk that it may blow the overvoltage protection fuse/fuses in the base module ECU, though.

ok all, have the answer. jump lead to rear of alternator on 13mm nut and earth to engine get enough power to unlock the car. thanks for trying the posters.:rolleyes:

What year is your car? This matters; they're not all the same...

My '94 does not have an emergency key; it has the IR remote fob with the flip-out metal key blade. The boot will NOT, repeat NOT, open with the metal key blade if it has been locked with the central locking. (All positions in the lock are free, and the lock is well-lubricated).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom