R129 for sale at dealer, opinions please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just checked & I bought it June 2015. First owner had it about 7 years then 2nd owner for about 9 years.

Shame I can't find a decent priced decent example SL60 with owners like this! I think I'm resigned to the fact I won't be getting back into an SL60 again. I'll either keep this SL500 or sell & replace with maybe an E55k AMG. Would like to get back into a nice proper AMG again.

Ive seen this car, its well presented, nice service history, few extra toys fitted etc

MERCEDES SL CLASS SL320 for sale from Adrian Blyth Surrey

Assuming it passed a closer inspection, how does the forum feel about the asking price in todays market ?

Thanks

My only fear would be condition of the engine wiring loom. It has the straight six engine which suffers from this and I would want some sort of reassurance that either it’s been changed or a discount on the price (approx £1500) to allow for replacement.

Thanks for feedback so far.
Im talking to the seller and maybe there is a deal to be done.
I've had an R129 itch to scratch for many years since I sold my Porsche 944 S2 ( yes.... should have kept that car... great fun on track days at Castle Combe.
This car is at the upper end of asking prices for model,age, mileage but seems the best car I've viewed so it all evens out.
I've noted a few things that need attention on the car and this needs to be considered.
Will update you soon.

Good luck...let us know how you get on. It is not far away from PCS so would be well worth getting them to do a PPI if your serious about the car before buying.

There seems to be some references to corrosion on the underside/suspension on the MOT history advisories & a/some failures due to this. I would want this checked out & confirmed it was all OK now & has been resolved so not any ongoing issues. We know rust & Mercs at this time did have some history mainly on others models as not seen so many issues on R129's IIRC.

It was bought new & owned by 1st older gentlemen owner in Berkshire. Supplied & services for some years with the main dealer in Sunningdale.

Was that the Sunningdale Carriage Company by any chance? I'm not aware of them ever having been an M-B dealer, but I have seen mention of them being the original seller in the history of a few SLs ... wondering if they had some sort of arrangement with M-B Ascot (just down the road). They've been a Rolls-Royce dealership for as long as I can remember.

The other high end garage in Sunningdale is Prestige Cars, who regularly sell M-Bs but have definitely never been a dealership. Funnily enough our C Class has a service stamp from them at 3 years old, despite having been sold as an Approved Used with FMBSH!

I'll have to check to be sure. It was definitely the main dealer round there that supplied & serviced the car for the 1st owner.

It was Greenoaks Mercedes. I think they were bought out by Vertu a few years ago.

It was Greenoaks Mercedes. I think they were bought out by Vertu a few years ago.

Ah - that's M-B Ascot. As mentioned I suspect the R-R dealership in Sunningdale sourced the odd new car through them ... there's a '91 500SL (up for £32k :eek:) that sounds like it may have been supplied that way:

1991 Mercedes-Benz 500SL – Edward Hall

Ah - that's M-B Ascot. As mentioned I suspect the R-R dealership in Sunningdale sourced the odd new car through them ... there's a '91 500SL (up for £32k :eek:) that sounds like it may have been supplied that way:

1991 Mercedes-Benz 500SL – Edward Hall
OK, thanks. Now I know. Wow that is a whole chunk of change. Never been a fan of the diamond blue or similar light blue colours in any car. Looked at an E39 M5 in similar colour a few years back but never liked it. One of my big issues is dark blue full leather interiors. Never been a fan.

That being said my QP is mainly Avorio/Cream leather but also a bit of blue but it was half the reason I bought the car & it is quite unique & works really IMHO.

f96c9c9538934983fe87a46e1e03370f.jpg
b2dfd9b7fba69900a5d431e96ee6c6e9.jpg

Ive agreed a deal in principle on the car subject to Final inspection and test drive.

Ive soken with a mobile MB spanner man and it seems he cant offer much more of a insection than a MOT station or my own personnal checks. Im reasonably competent but Im not a MB technician.
He says it depends on:
A) How far the seller lets them go. Some wont let them test drive the car.
B) That the laptop wont really reveal too much from the software (It is 20 years old!)
C) They dont use a paint depth instument.
D) I sould expect minor oil seepeage from the head gasket at this age (unless its been done) , they all do that and its not worth the cost or replacing the gasket if it is minor (I accept that)
E) Typically they only inspect cars for buyers who cant see the car in the flesh themselves.

So Im not sure its worth the £300 notes they charge. Im hoping a friend of mine who used to spray cars in the old days is availible to check it over with me, and buy it on condition with a new MOT and my own HPI check.

Thoughts ?

Yes let Olly, Jack or Graham check it over.

Same colour scheme as my 500! Every time I look at the picture in the link, I think that the front end is sitting too high. I wonder if any of the suspension has been replaced? It looks a well cared for car.

It recently had new lower front wishbones fitted. Maybe the rear springs are getting a little tired?
The dealer put it through the MOT today and it sailed through.

Update.

The deal was completed and the car is now mine. Very happy so far, its been many years of waiting to achive this desire.
45 min drive home was faultless, the service history is rock solid. Ive spoken with the garage that looked after the car for the last 5 years, they informed it was a very good car, they even said the owner was a real great chap.
So I called him and had a 20 min chat about the car, he was very helpful and glad its gone to a good home ! He kept it in a garage and did minimal mileage, but she got serviced every year with no expense spared. He told me about getting the bumpers and bonnett resprayed due to stone chips (we spotted this only upon very close inspection) and how he was so careful to keep the interior spotless. The guy was real car enthusiast.
Car is credit to its former keepers. But like all 20 year old cars there is always a couple of small jobs to do. I will now store the car and only use it occasionally untill early spring and get onto those.

Thanks to all who offered buying advice. Id be happy to offer mine to any future SL buyers, which is forget age and miles and the pictures in the add..... buy on combination of condition, history, inspection and price !!

Congratulations! I've had my 96 500 for 15 years now (as I said, in the same colour scheme as yours), and whilst it's in need of a few cosmetics, at approx 157k miles it's entitled to be, and still going strong!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom