R129 front wing rust treatment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
I noticed a few years back that there was a slight bubbling on both front wings of my R129, 2 summers ago I had some time to try and tackle this issue.

I basically Sanded down the the rusty bits, used jenolite and Zinc Primer and then spray painted it

for an amateur it was not a bad first go but my spray painting is not the best but you could not really see it from more than 2 or 3 meters away.

the rust has of course come back now 2 years later and paint is now also bubbling up around the side indicators. I think the main issue is that a lot of rubbish gets stuck on the inside of the front wing and it is near impossible to get rid of the rust in that section.

I think i will have to eventually get 2 new front wings but I am going to do similar rust treatment later this summer again.

attached is a picture with steps taken and the end result (2 summers ago)

i think this time i will remove the front wing from the car making it easier to get full access all around but last time i did not do this as i could not figure out how to get the plastic side panel off which covers the the bottom bolt

has anyone successfully removed rust from the front wings or will this only ever be a patch job till you get the front wings replaced? I am happy to keep trying my amateurish repairs for the time being and perhaps just repeat this process if need be for a few more years. hopefully i will get better at spray painting in the process :)

Attachments

• r129 rust treatment.jpg
    r129 rust treatment.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 75
I've never seen good results from Jenolite - Dinitrol RC800/900 should give you a better start.

The other trick you've already mentioned - take the wing off so you can get rid of as much of the rust as possible before applying treatment. It probably wouldn't hurt to get some extra rustproofing behind the wing to help keep it at bay for the future, and also to give it a good clear out periodically so you don't get the build up of rust-creating crud in the first place.

i clean out the wing almost every week now i know it catches a lot of rubbish

i will try the Dinitrol

just need to work out how to remove the plastic cover in (between the door and the front wheel) so i can remove the bolt that holds it in place at the bottom)

When sanding down any rust, unless its completely bare metal - no black spots at all - completely sliver, then it will come back.

That's a cavity wax, more intended for inside sills and enclosed panels (doors, bootlids etc). You'd be better off with something like 4941.

Is por15 any good for this as I am sorting out some of my underbody with this

Por15 is very good, done the underside of my intergra with this and it's been great. Only thing is it needs a top coat if exposed to UV light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom