R129 Geeky question - did some come with no air-con

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Popped down to my local motor factors to pick up a battery and, as always, there was the owners R129 SL500 parked at the back. Looking at it I thought the dash looked odd and then thought it's only got standard ventilation, not A/C (never seen one without an EC button before). I've never seen this before today - were some produced without a/c?

Attachments

• r129.jpg
    r129.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 89
Not that I was aware of. No seat heaters either, definitely poverty spec.

You learn something new every day.

Indeed you do. Wouldn't want to drive one though, the heatsoak through the firewall from that V8 is quite noticeable, the AC helps fend it off even with the roof down.

I'm using an opportunity of asking a geeky question.
How much space is actually available on rear bench, is it big enough for 2 kids?

How old?

Unless your front seat occupants are short there's very little legroom on the rear jumpseats (or none at all)

Girls are 5 and 7. Let's say the older one is 4 ft. Mrs and I are 6 ft.

Sorry, unless you cut the older one off at the knees it's probably not going to be a goer. Yours and Mrs Driver's seats will be most of the way back, which means the backrest is pretty much up against the rear seat cushion.

You can get one reasonably sized person in the back sitting side saddle. If you could get both your kids in the back, you wont for very long.

Thanks. I knew it that we can't fit. I'll have to wait for some another 20-25 years and probably it will be desirable like Pagoda is now.

My soon to be seven year old son sits in the back quite comfortably with the passenger seat slightly forward ; I just fitted three point rear belts obtained from Quickfit SBS .

He probably could fit behind the drivers seat as I have it set up , but I would find it awkward to get in or out of the car without moving it back .

Now is the time to buy a 129 : values are only going to go one way from here .

Incidentally , mine has a/c but it doesn't work , but wafting around today ( OTG showing ambient 22.5 deg ) with the top down I'm not sure that I need it anyway . Different perhaps if you find yourself out on a hot day with the hardtop on .

Last edited:
My 1994 320 doesnt have aircon and the button for the hood is on the other side compared to the first photo

My hood button is also the other way round

not surprising since every thing was an option in those days, including a radio!

The rear seats are specifically child seats ... no problem on the nearside as there's loads of legroom in the front (so you can move the front seat forward). Have driven my parents in ours that way (mum in the back) with no difficulty.

Offside rear seat is more of a problem, I'm 6'1" and normally have the driver's seat fully back. To carry two in the back I have to move my seat forwards a bit ... OK for short-ish drives but wouldn't want to do a long trip like that.

I don't think the heat from the engine is that intrusive TBH. I have 1990 with aircon (working) but hardly use it. Also heated seats (working) which I must admit i use all the time. MY Hood button same as photo. Weird that had then in different places. I haven't got rear seats either. More practical with the storage boxes i feel. But my kids are nearly all grown up thank god.

I've got a 99 with rear seats and a couple of years ago fitted proper seat belts to the rear. Just picked up my 3 year old from nursery in it for first time without bulky child seat on the way to get MOT which it sailed through :). She sits on a cushion which is jammed between the anchor points so is very snug and safe. I've been very fortunate to have been around the R129 since 1994 and when in my 30's 3 of us went from London to Isle of Wight in one for a week, with 5ft 8 guy in the back. With roof down not too bad. I am 5ft 8 and have to put car seat fwd a tiny bit as little ones legs stick forward but its no biggy, my 19 year old sits behind the passenger seat. Went for a nice blast after MOT and had to turn off Air Con as hands were getting cold when it was 23c outside.

My 7 year old has just passed 135 cm so is now 'legal' in the back of the SL without a booster :bannana:

Normally he's in the front through :D

Regarding a/c, I have a 1994 without a/c. I didn't want a/c. Not a deal-breaker but preferably not. For the UK, there are only a few days a year when a/c is necessary in a convertible. I realise it helps demisting in the winter but you get warm air into the cabin so quickly that I haven't found misting up to be a problem over this last winter.
My main reason for not wanting a/c (apart from its limited use in the UK) is that a/c maintenance has been just about the most expensive component to upkeep in good working order in my other cars. (Porsche 928, Porsche 996, Volvo T5R.) And, looking at various MB club forums, its amazing how often the issue of a/c comes up.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to have occasionally, just not for me. Something not to have to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom