R129 halogen headlamp misting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardF

Car
Sl 320
One headlamp mists, I know the inherent design fault and sealing problems.

During the summer it was swimming, like a goldfish bowl🐟 took it off dried it out and resealed it, seemed to work for awhile too. Inevitably with the weather turning, it's just started to mist slightly, managed to sort it this time with a hairdryer.

I was thinking 🙄 (always dangerous for me) many headlamps have a small drain hole, they mist then clear themselves when used.

Would it be worth drilling a small hole in mine? The plastic bit obvs not the glass.

Can't say I've had that problem in nearly 2 decades of ownership. Assuming you've renewed the rubber seals and clips front and rear?

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I didn't even know the Seals were available separately. If I could find headlamps at a reasonable price I may just replace the pair. Are they MB only parts?

i also have never had this issue, i opened one up for the first time this year to see if I could clean it from the inside but it was spotless and ofcourse broke a plastic tab, perhaps i will get some misting after opening it up

you could also try putting one of those silica gel bags in, I do this in our Cayenne and replace them every 3-6 months

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I didn't even know the Seals were available separately. If I could find headlamps at a reasonable price I may just replace the pair. Are they MB only parts?

Bosch/Magneti Marelli were OE manufacture so you can probably source them direct for less.

Had this on my wifes old 129 but a) that was due to a small hole in the glass and b) they were xenons. Just got a replacement glass and refitted it with cleaned up old seals seals . Perfect apsrt from the very brittle plastic clips the hold it all together I broke two but it didnt affect the seal, at least not over the subsequent two years we had it. Lovely car. So much nicer than the r230 she has now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom