R129 - hard top hoist ... worthwhile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
I now have a garage with a pitched roof, which would allow me to fit a hard top hoist. Anybody used one of these, are they a good idea??

Dorian had an electric one I believe and was able to remove and fit his hard top alone.

I'd say that was useful.

Makes sense to me, my mate had one for his M3 cab.

You can get them cheaply enough - or make one. Definitely useful for fitting the roof on your own or avoiding paint damage though you do need to be able to park in roughly the same place each time.

I had one for the SL hardtop, but didnt quite have the height in the garage.

With the height of the pulleys and the frame that attaches to the hardtop means you have at least a 8" gap between the ceiling height and the top of the hardtop.

Yes it can be a one man operation to remove the hardtop, but i would still recommend two people, as when the hardtop releases from the car, it can swing about, damaging the hardtop or the car.

The hoist didnt suit me, and I sold it on ebay.

I now have a bracket system that stores the hadtop, it means lifting it into position, but it gives me greater clearance.

Wobbly

I had the USA one from hard top hoist,very simple to remove the heavy glass roof, as Stats says you have to park the car on the exact spot.

Malcolm

OK, thanks for the comments guys.

they are really useful.
I got mine on ebay. Let me know if you want me to dig out who from........

rgds
Nick

Alternatively, you could always get a R230 - problem solved and no need for a electric hoist or anyone to assist in the removal of the hard top...;) :devil:

PS. R230s are really dropping in price now...

If it was myself I would not bother with a eletric hoist.

Thanks guys I will keep an eye on eBay.

Even if I could afford an R230, they only have 2 seats and we have 2 kids who go in the back of the R129.

I would also avoid an electric hoist. It needs fine manual control to ensure your hard top doesn't swing around and hit anything. I wouldn't trust an electric one.

Yup I would prefer a manual one.

The car is in its new garage now, plenty of headroom for a hoist. The mirrors only clear the doorway by about an inch each side on the way in though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom