R129 hardtop stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I need a hardtop stand for my soon-to-be-collected R129. I am minded to buy an Inka item off t' Bay of cheap and cheerful. Can anyone endorse this maker's kit as satisfactory (or not), or recommend any particular make/type I should look at as well/instead.

OOOOH, I'm so excited :bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana: It's my first (and at my age, probably last) convertible :cool: since a Morris Minor soft-top forty years ago. I don't suppose it will be much different to drive, will it...:devil:

It does what it says it does on the tin. If they throw in the cover - that is cheap, nasty and doesn't fit. But I keep mine in the garage, with blanket & tarp over it anyway.

Good luck with the R129, I'm over a year in to mine as a daily driver. No regrets other than having to fix blistering from a past owners resprayed bonnet.

I just put a bit of carpet on the floor , threw a blanket over the hard top and leaned it on the wall .

Thank you, gentlemen. If I was doing it myself I'd knock something up from wood, but as it will be a gift from one of my sons, I think I might as well go for the tailor-made.

Can anyone tell me how heavy the hardtop actually is?

the weismann ones are made to fit and hold the weight of both the standard and panoramic hardtops. very good quality and often pop up on ebay used for around 40-80 ££. the standard roofs are pretty light not sure on weight though. the pano's are weighty but so worth it. lastly enjoy your r129 ive had 2 and will always a a soft spot for them

I thought you said soft top for them! If memory serves the pano roof is about 40 lbs heavier.

If you can find an MB /Wiesmann stand, they fold up and will fit discreetly in your boot if you need to travel with your roof on.

Looking forward to seeing some pics when the car arrives!

Just picked up on this thread - I have a spare stand available if you are still looking for one. It looks like the SL Shop type but I need to go to my (remote) garage to have a look to see which make it is and take some photos of it.
It fits into the boot of the R129.
It used to have a pano roof sitting on it so will take the weight. Let me know? Located east midlands near Lutterworth (M1/M6/A14 junction) - £75 + delivery within 50 miles for free.

Just picked up on this thread - I have a spare stand available if you are still looking for one. It looks like the SL Shop type but I need to go to my (remote) garage to have a look to see which make it is and take some photos of it.
It fits into the boot of the R129.
It used to have a pano roof sitting on it so will take the weight. Let me know? Located east midlands near Lutterworth (M1/M6/A14 junction) - £75 + delivery within 50 miles for free.

If only you had posted a few weeks ago, it would have been the 5 year anniversary since the OP started this thread :p

Reactions: 219
O dear, what a thread to bring back from the dead all things considered !

Wassamatter you, eh? Are these things likely to expire as time sensitive or something? If the SLShop still advertise them for sale, there must be a market for them.

Indeed , but I think his point is that the OP will long since have got one since it was five years since he asked the question.

If you have one you no longer need , then you can place an advert in the classified section on this site , where I’m sure you will find a buyer .

As stated five years ago , I just stored my hardtop in my mother’s garage ( she had long given up car ownership , being in her late 80’s ) and I just placed a thick rug on the floor , then placed a thick blanket over it . The hardtop lay there for over 5 years until I got rid of my SL a couple of months ago since I used it top down at every opportunity all year round and covered well over 100,000 wonderful miles in it .

When I get another suitable house with a garage and driveway I shall be getting another R129 .

06FD9079-3CF6-40DB-8DE6-4E75B5B08D8C.jpeg

That was where mine sat for 5 years plus ( had the car seven years but after the first two winters the hardtop never went back on until the car was going away ) .

Wassamatter you, eh? Are these things likely to expire as time sensitive or something? If the SLShop still advertise them for sale, there must be a market for them.

It's just this particular thread and the fun and games that followed on from the purchase of the car .........

I made one out of a furniture dolly and some 2x4. These are some pictures. I added some material around the 2x4 also to protect the paint but it's not in these pictures.ht2.jpght1.jpght1.jpg

the weismann ones are made to fit and hold the weight of both the standard and panoramic hardtops. very good quality and often pop up on ebay used for around 40-80 ££. the standard roofs are pretty light not sure on weight though. the pano's are weighty but so worth it. lastly enjoy your r129 ive had 2 and will always a a soft spot for them
A soft spot for a soft top, I like it. 👌👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom