R129 Headlamp Wiper - Volvo alternative

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLBrighton

Car
R129 SL500
Hi everyone,

I took my headlamp wipers off my 97 SL500 to clean them thoroughly and now seem to have lost one! I am considering taking the motors completely out for a cleaner look, but was looking at alternative replacements of the whole arm / blade in case I don't get around to doing it. The MOT isn't until May, but it will no doubt fail if the tester sees components sticking it, without the arm on. I'm also squirting passers by when using at the moment!

I check with Mercedes and a new arm is over £200 and the blade is around £60! The cheapest one I can see on Ebay is around £125

I read from someone that they though Volvo 850 / V70 arms might fit. I've looked on Ebay and they seem to look different to mine. Maybe the arms changed on the R129 throughout its life. Has anyone had any experience of using Volvo headlamp wiper arms? I've attached a pic of mine.

Thanks, Ian

IMG_0920.pngIMG_0921.png

Hi, have seen a few different wiper arms on R129’s. Not sure if MB changed them along the way or if owners have replaced them with suitable alternatives. Have heard that Volvo ones may fit but not tried one as yet.. am in need of replacing one of mine later this year.

Hi all,

So I ordered two wiper arms and blades for a Volvo V70 and fitted them today. Fits the motor arm perfectly and wipes the headlamp effectively too. The only thing I now need to do, is find some black silicon pipe from somewhere to fit between the nozzle and wiper part, to stop spraying the car in front! Any idea where I can source this?

Considering the Mercedes dealer wanted over £500 for 2 new arms and blades, this isn't bad for just under £40 for both sides total!

Here are the Ebay links:

Arms: PAIR VOLVO 850 C70 S70 V70 V70XC HEADLAMP HEADLIGHT WIPER ARMS (NEW) | eBay

Blades: Volvo S60 V70 XC70 XC90 Headlamp Headlight Wiper Blades - Pair | eBay

IMG_1289.pngIMG_1286.png

Last edited:
Thank you for updating.. as for the silicone tube maybe an electrical outlet, insulation of components or fishing tackle shop, carp fishing; used to make up hook lengths.

Standard washer jet tubing on ebay. Should be plenty of sellers offering a variety of sizes (I'm guessing 3mm) and colours (black, obviously)

The wiper arm of the classic Saab 900 also looks very much like it.
as long as the spindles are same size, and arm length is similar you could change both, to match up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom