R129 Heater fan stays on even with ignition switched off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan M

Car
SL320 V6, 1978 VW Camper
Hi,
I have a 2000 R129 today it decided to refuse to switch the heater blower fan off.
When I switched the ignition off the fan turned itself on to pretty much full. I put the ignition back on I could control the fan speed normally. The "rest" button also controls the heating as it should.
I tried switching the ignition off,locking and unlocking the car - no difference.
I left the heating on "rest" with the car locked - after it switched off the fan remained on, albeit at a slower speed.

I have done a bit of searching and have found some similar problems mentioned, but these all had problems controlling fan speed even with ignition on. The suggestions with these problems was a faulty blower regulator. Would this also be the problem here? Are there any tests I can do before shelling out £400 for a new one?
I do have carsoft 7.4 which I will connect up and see if there are any codes, but it's cold, dark and snowy outside at the moment :(
Thanks

OK it seems the mere mention of the fault on here has scared the car back to behaving itself :bannana:

I replaced the fuse this morning to head to work and it appears everything is working fine. Not taking any chances on a flat battery for tomorrow so fuse is out for tonight and I will see if any codes on weekend.

Hi,
I take it you have the digital display climate control unit, my thoughts would be with the display unit itself as it is more like a simple computer and interfaces with a lot of other equipment in the car, and they are known to cause faults.
There have been a few on e-bay recently i have a spare one for a w202 and depending on the age of your car can be the same one fitted to your car.
There are companies that can refurbish them too.
BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, and catalytic converters

Hey, how this story ended? I have the same problem on my w202 :)

Hey, how this story ended? I have the same problem on my w202 :)

It ended as above. I can only assume some fine snow had blown in somewhere getting something damp and upsetting it. It has not developed the same problem since.

Oh, great.

I have disconnected the battery for the whole night. Now it's ok. Hope it stays this way.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom