R129 high end custom audio install (I hope!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simontodd

Car
SL500
First off, I'm going to town on my much loved R129 SL. I love everything about the car except the sorry excuse for sound that came through the speakers....so.

It's all coming out, and after 3 months planning, research, 4 installers and lots of great advice, first was the headunit

The car had an old Kenwood tape deck with 6 disk changer in the boot

No more

A Pioneer P88RSII headunit is in.

I love this headunit for 3 reasons

1. Asthetically it suits the car ( I also considered an Apline with imprint but it's look was far to bright for the car)

2. It sounds great

3. It came with a mic and it takes 5 minutes to set up it's own EQ. Now this won't suit everyone, but if I didn't have this, the whole car would need to be setup everytime I move from the soft top to the hard top.

Next is the 2nd stage

Amp and sub (3rd stage will be crossovers and 3ways up front, but more of that later)

I have bought

Genesis series III 5 channel amp

CDT Eurosport 10 ES10SQ subwoofer

Both of which are going in the boot in a custom build probably in leather

I mostly just listen to the V8 in mine ... rarely have the stereo on!

Any pictures or is it waiting to be fitted?[/quote]

Lots of pics
but at the fabrication stage now. Just had all the lining out of the boot to pick up all the fixing points that will be needed

Here's the car

P1010075 copy1.jpg

What a quiet forum

Hello......hello....hello

anyone there?
Without pics of the install, it's not that interesting, though, is it? I'll be very interested to see those.

Sounds like it will be a good system.
I am hoping to sort mine out sometime in the c-coupe, so will be interested how you get on & would be keen to see some pics. Are you doing it yourself or using installer?
Also can you give reasons for particular choices & can you pass on the advice you were given which may be of help to others?
Many Thanks, Matt

So some pics required

Attachments

• P1010084 copy.jpg
    P1010084 copy.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 110
  • P1010080 copy.jpg
    P1010080 copy.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 107
  • P1010094 copy.jpg
    P1010094 copy.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
God those pics are big

Amp is the Genesis Series III 5 channel amp

Sub is the CDT Eurosport 10 ES10SQ

Both of these are going into the boot

A custom enclosure will be used for the sub. It only requires 0.6 cu ft so will sit really neatly above the well on the far left of the boot

The amp will be mounted where the windbreak is usually stored. The boot will then be re-upholstered in black and gray two-tone leather to match the new interior.

Following that will be Hertz HSC 163 3 ways up front.

Total budget for equipment £2,400

plus fabrication and upholstery

Last edited:
So, £3500 or thereabouts? You must be mental.

The car's only worth a fraction more, surely? What is it, a 91 or so? Of course, it's your money, but it does seem a bit OTT to me. Good luck with it, I'm sure it'll be loud!

£3500 is a lot of money.

Especially as with the roof down the sound feild will be all over the place anyway. Even more so with the roof down I think the engine note (assuming a v8 will still sound better)

Will be nice to see it done and as others its your pennies.

Ok, I get your logic, so I'll explain mine

I don't have this car because it gets me from A to B. I have it as a luxury, it's my only car, wife but no kids. I do 6k miles a year and suffer no depreciation. It took me a year to find the car and it's in the same condition it left the factory with only a handful of miles. I intend to keep the car for at least the next 15-20 years.

Now the original reciept says £86k. (yes I have every bill)

What part of that would equate to the audio?

I can't put £500 of kit in it as it will be worse than the original.

This is one of the finest cars ever made, and it makes sense to install quality audio and to give it a professional finish.

I know many people use this forum to ask advice for DIY repairs because either thay like to do the work themselves or it's how they make running a merceds financially viable.

I thought I would post this thread as an alternative to someone who wants to save money. Instead I'm happy to spend on my beloved SL. The car I always dreamed of owning. I love it more today than last year, and that's more than when I bought it.

This isnt at rant at you or anyone, I just have a different approach

Fairy nuff. Looking forward to seeing the finished results. You mentalist.

Simon

I'm all for mods, years ago I had a Mk3 Golf GTI and spend a small fortune on at the time Rockford fosgate ICE, sounded awesome.

I'm even tempted to do similar to my bus.

Sorry I perhaps came across like I'm having ago..didn't mean to. Like you say its your car, your pride and joy so why not?

I want some big alloys for mine, many say why? but heck its my car :)

I'm still interested to see the pictures and respect anyone that mods their car, weather I like it or not I still appreciate the time / effort and money gone into the mods.

Its a good job we are all different and thats great.

Cheers

I wasn't having a pop, either. But I still think you're mental.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom