R129 hydraulic roof issue

SLBrighton

Car
R129 SL500
Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice.

Last summer my left hand windscreen hydraulics started leaking a little. I stopped using the roof, put the hardtop back on and ordered some replacement hydraulic seals which I will attempt soon on both sides of the windscreen. The mechanism was working fine, just leaking a little after use. I've not tried it for a year or tried the roll bar until today.

I was going to take the roof off today and hit a problem.

There are no warning lights on and the roof button does not flash after starting the car, so that's a good thing. I pulled the button back to unlock and it started flashing but the windscreen locks didn't work or the rear ones. I can't remember if it is supposed to flash when unlatching or not.

It then started leaking a little down the windscreen pillar (It worked last time and then leaked, but this time, no noise at all - could the locks be jammed from lack of use?). I then pushed the button the other way (to close) and the roof pulled down at the back. It was already closed and had not unlocked of course, but it pulled down further, so those cylinders must be are working to some extent.

I tried the roll bar and that went up and down no problem.

My thoughts are to take the roof off manually next week using the tool, repair the front cylinders, change the hydraulic fluid and then see what happens. There was enough oil in the reservoir a couple of months ago and the hydraulics haven't been used since then, so I assume it wasn't lack of fluid, but I didn't check today. I will change it though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ian

Tonye

Car
Sl320 2000
Are the windows in sync,
Try unlocking just the front Manually, then pull the switch and see if that works.
If the rears are pulling at least you know the pump is ok.
Hope this is of help, Tony

OP
OP
SLBrighton

SLBrighton

Car
R129 SL500
Are the windows in sync,
Try unlocking just the front Manually, then pull the switch and see if that works.
If the rears are pulling at least you know the pump is ok.
Hope this is of help, Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for your suggestion. I did try and sync the windows, i'll try again. The rears are pulling down, so yes, the hydraulics must be working. I've not tried the manual tool ever before, but I know what to do from a YouTube video. Is it straightforward to unlock the fronts? (Remove that hole cover under the viser, allen key in and twist?) I'm using the car tomorrow, so don't want to mess it up! I might leave it until Next week when I don't need the car!

Tonye

Car
Sl320 2000
The fronts lock and unlock in opposite directions. Put key in with spanner end towards mirror and push away towards side windows to unlock, towards mirror to lock again.
My rear locks wouldn't lock unless i forced the front right a little because the micro switch was a bit off. Best of luck

Wearsthefoxhat

Car
SL500 : R129. /. E55k : S211
Hi, to remove the hard top, you need to switch the key to 1 then within a few seconds, operate the roof button. Don’t think it works with the engine running for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
SLBrighton

SLBrighton

Car
R129 SL500
Hi, to remove the hard top, you need to switch the key to 1 then within a few seconds, operate the roof button. Don’t think it works with the engine running for obvious reasons.
Hi, I've always opened the roof (hard top or soft top) with the engine running. I was always advised to do this to save the battery. It only doesn't work, when moving

Wearsthefoxhat

Car
SL500 : R129. /. E55k : S211
I always raise, lower the soft top with the engine running too, but don’t think my hard top releases when it is running. (MY1998)

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
Roof should operate both with and without engine running. The button is always solid red when operating (I will double check that and if I am wrong will report back)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom