R129 hydraulic roof issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLBrighton

Car
R129 SL500
Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice.

Last summer my left hand windscreen hydraulics started leaking a little. I stopped using the roof, put the hardtop back on and ordered some replacement hydraulic seals which I will attempt soon on both sides of the windscreen. The mechanism was working fine, just leaking a little after use. I've not tried it for a year or tried the roll bar until today.

I was going to take the roof off today and hit a problem.

There are no warning lights on and the roof button does not flash after starting the car, so that's a good thing. I pulled the button back to unlock and it started flashing but the windscreen locks didn't work or the rear ones. I can't remember if it is supposed to flash when unlatching or not.

It then started leaking a little down the windscreen pillar (It worked last time and then leaked, but this time, no noise at all - could the locks be jammed from lack of use?). I then pushed the button the other way (to close) and the roof pulled down at the back. It was already closed and had not unlocked of course, but it pulled down further, so those cylinders must be are working to some extent.

I tried the roll bar and that went up and down no problem.

My thoughts are to take the roof off manually next week using the tool, repair the front cylinders, change the hydraulic fluid and then see what happens. There was enough oil in the reservoir a couple of months ago and the hydraulics haven't been used since then, so I assume it wasn't lack of fluid, but I didn't check today. I will change it though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ian

Are the windows in sync,
Try unlocking just the front Manually, then pull the switch and see if that works.
If the rears are pulling at least you know the pump is ok.
Hope this is of help, Tony

Are the windows in sync,
Try unlocking just the front Manually, then pull the switch and see if that works.
If the rears are pulling at least you know the pump is ok.
Hope this is of help, Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for your suggestion. I did try and sync the windows, i'll try again. The rears are pulling down, so yes, the hydraulics must be working. I've not tried the manual tool ever before, but I know what to do from a YouTube video. Is it straightforward to unlock the fronts? (Remove that hole cover under the viser, allen key in and twist?) I'm using the car tomorrow, so don't want to mess it up! I might leave it until Next week when I don't need the car!

The fronts lock and unlock in opposite directions. Put key in with spanner end towards mirror and push away towards side windows to unlock, towards mirror to lock again.
My rear locks wouldn't lock unless i forced the front right a little because the micro switch was a bit off. Best of luck

Hi, to remove the hard top, you need to switch the key to 1 then within a few seconds, operate the roof button. Don’t think it works with the engine running for obvious reasons.

Hi, to remove the hard top, you need to switch the key to 1 then within a few seconds, operate the roof button. Don’t think it works with the engine running for obvious reasons.
Hi, I've always opened the roof (hard top or soft top) with the engine running. I was always advised to do this to save the battery. It only doesn't work, when moving

I always raise, lower the soft top with the engine running too, but don’t think my hard top releases when it is running. (MY1998)

Roof should operate both with and without engine running. The button is always solid red when operating (I will double check that and if I am wrong will report back)

My roof doesn't unlock front or rear latches but I can see and hear tonneau cover slightly moving when I press the button after I take the roof down manually.

With that being said, I can't find my roof tool. Can I use any other tools to unlatch and lock the roof?

The front latches are relatively simple, it's a hex fitting. The rest of them are more difficult as it uses the other end of the tool, a really thin spanner - think bicycle cone spanner.

The problem there is that cone spanners only come in certain sizes, and sods law says none of them match the size for the fixtures on the car. I suspect you'll have to pony up and buy the MB part.

This of any help?

Upgraded convertible top hydraulic components for Mercedes R129 SL-Class 1990-2002

Mercedes-Benz R129 SL-Class DIY Instructions and Interactive Diagram

r129diagram.jpg

Hi all, has anyone encountered a problem with the mechanism locking up and unable to open even manually? I have an issue with the rear left mechanism. It just will not budge.

It looks like a previous owner has had issues also as the lever is pretty mullered. I have ordered a replacement one so if push comes to shove I will have to cut it out.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Will

Much appreciated, but this is step 2. The hard top is in place. I have no access to these elements without disengaging the lock and removing the hard top. It is locked shut with no movement.

Is there are some cables attached to the unit, does anyone know if these are for a limiter switch or a solenoid that locks in place to prevent removal?

No additional locks or solenoid, they can be very tight to release, lean on it a bit more.

No additional locks or solenoid, they can be very tight to release, lean on it a bit more.
Thanks,
I have leaned on it so much the lever with the red tabs at the end has just deformed. I suspect someone has put the hard top on incorrectly and the locking mechanism is stuck. Needless to say I will wait until the replacement part arrives and start to cut the old one out. Will.post up what I find.

Sometimes with latches it's a question of relieving the tension to allow to engaging pieces to move without undue friction. You could try getting a friend to put their weight on the hardtop on the jammed side via small stepladder or chair-this might be enough to release sufficient tension for you to operate the catch?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sometimes with latches it's a question of relieving the tension to allow to engaging pieces to move without undue friction. You could try getting a friend to put their weight on the hardtop on the jammed side via small stepladder or chair-this might be enough to release sufficient tension for you to operate the catch?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatley this did not work. I ended up cutting the latch out. I drilled the end of the spindle to the locking mechanism, and it simply released when the pressure was removed. I fitted the replacement part and it works fine.

The old locking mechanism was covered in grease, which doesnt seem to make these units work very well. I suspect there was so much old grease that the locking part could not return to allow the rest to release. Now that this one is sorted it seems the other side does not want to lock. Again, I suspect it has been over greased and everything is sticking. At least I can now access it to remove and clean it out.

Now I have to dind out why the pump is not running. Oh the FUN!.

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom