R129 ice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevieb15

Car
98 sl 500, 90 w126 500se, 03 CLK 320 Convertible, 90 W124 CE300
The whole system in my SL is on its last legs. As far as I can see its the original Blaupunkt stereo with 12 cd changer in the boot.
Radio reception is crackly but improves with a finger pressed into the lift out face, the cd changer doesn't work and the ariel shaft needs relacing.
So, I have decided to replace the lot, I am sure I'm not the first to make this decision but I am possibly not the most knowledgable about options and choices. I have spoken to a couple of ICE retailers locally but would have got more satisfaction poking myself in the eye.
Can anyone help or advise please

depends on your budget at the end of the day, do you want a fold in screen, nav, ipod, DAB? are you going to replace speakers? do you want a sub? even with all those questions answered you can go for top end which will cost alot of money, or mid range which will sound good for reasonable money.

theres alot of options out there at the moment. and all can be fitted and look like they were meant to be in the car (no bright silver facias etc with blue leds! lol)

Pioneer seem to offer a wide range of ICE equipment at a range of prices. Certainly used to be an MB approved manufacturer as an alternative to Bosch/Blaupunkt offered as a retrofit in dealers when this type of equipment was not "built in".

Budget aside what you want is a Becker Cascade 7944 (full iPod connection is possible with an optional lead, and boot cd changer is also an optional extra).
The head unit costs about £730 (!!!!) but its got satnav, bluetooth phone handsfree phone etc etc etc).
Its the best quality and is IMHO looks more OEM than anything else.

BECKER - Great Britain > Automotive > Cascade 7944 > Overview

Budget aside what you want is a Becker Cascade 7944 (full iPod connection is possible with an optional lead, and boot cd changer is also an optional extra).
The head unit costs about £730 (!!!!) but its got satnav, bluetooth phone handsfree phone etc etc etc).

Budget isn't a massive constraint as I intend to keep the car for the long term but I do want value and as I generally use it for the spoken word rather than music a mid range solution will probably be enough.
Equally I'm not really concerned about integrated sat nav but ipod connection essential and DAB would be a nice to have.
Not sure whether I need a sub?, given I want a proper job replacing speakers is part of what I am planning and something that looks like it belongs in the car a must

personally id go for something out of the Alpine range, the sound is awesome and the features will cover more than you need inc ipod! for the cost of the becker you would be able to replace the speakers as well, probably under a grand and you could have a amp and sub too, just shop around though as prices vary, buy the headunit from the uk, everything else the US is normally cheaper!

Another vote for Becker. I put an Indianapolis in the 60 and was so pleased with it I've put one in the 300. It costs a fair bit less than the Cascade which I considered but rejected. As far as I am aware the only "extra thing" the Cascade does is voice recognition, which anecdotally, I've heard is not that wonderful but in any case would be useless with the hood down.

See: Fixed Navigation - Essex Styling - Becker Indianapolis Pro 7953 G Radio/CD/MP3/Navigation/B.T.

I had an Indianapolis in a previous car 5 years ago (also an SL60) and it was excellent. Probably an excellent alternative to the Cascade, though the phone functionality is more sophisticated in the Cascade, which allows full exchange of address book between phone and unit.

Last edited:
Another vote for Becker. I put an Indianapolis in the 60 and was so pleased with it I've put one in the 300. It costs a fair bit less than the Cascade which I considered but rejected. As far as I am aware the only "extra thing" the Cascade does is voice recognition, which anecdotally, I've heard is not that wonderful but in any case would be useless with the hood down.

See: Fixed Navigation - Essex Styling - Becker Indianapolis Pro 7953 G Radio/CD/MP3/Navigation/B.T.
It does look like a nice unit, is it a simple plug in retrofit or will I need professional help?

for me its getting a pro to do it but many others on here would tell you its pretty simple. Depends on your level of expertise.
Personally, anything more complicated than washing the car I usually pay someone else to do !!

for me its getting a pro to do it but many others on here would tell you its pretty simple. Depends on your level of expertise.
Personally, anything more complicated than washing the car I usually pay someone else to do !!

sounds like wise counsel!

I too would be inclined to pay for installation, remember it's not just a head, you have the telephone and sat nav stuff to fit and calibrate, I shouldn't think it would cost more than £80.00

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom