R129 - Is this the worst time to sell?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129Fan

Car
R129 SL320
Due to Divorce, hence no garage and solicitors bills my beautiful SL320 I6 has to go. Green/Black with Black interior and super smart. I love it every time I drive it but I need the funds now so sadly it's on trade classics. Am I going to be watching values finally climb now R107 has left the dock? Should I open more credit cards instead?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-06-12-04-01-32_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-12-06-12-04-01-32_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 13
Low demand for convertibles/sports cars in winter normally does mean prices are weak, unfortunately.

Nice car. I assume you mean the wrong time because it will appreciate in value - rather than selling a convertible in winter?

If it’s the latter then the strong market we’ve seen in the last 6 months will more than offset the usual winter softening in prices and ao you’ll still be m a better place than had you sold prior to that.

If it’s the former then inevitably it will appreciate, but whether it will appreciate sufficiently in the next few years for it to make a difference after accounting for running costs will be down to luck.

Nice car. I assume you mean the wrong time because it will appreciate in value - rather than selling a convertible in winter?

If it’s the latter then the strong market we’ve seen in the last 6 months will more than offset the usual winter softening in prices and ao you’ll still be m a better place than had you sold prior to that.

If it’s the former then inevitably it will appreciate, but whether it will appreciate sufficiently in the next few years for it to make a difference after accounting for running costs will be down to luck.
The former. I don't want to sell it and it feels like finally these will gain the interest they richly deserve in the next year reflecting in prices but I have nowhere for her now and already late on the sols Invoices..

Yes its the best time to sell . And it will only get worse , the more electric cars get on the road and they dont want petrol cars or disel on them anymore As well as the E10 fuel problems old cars will go through .

Been watching prices rise steadily on the R129s and now the 320s are being pulled up after the 500s. Prices have been climbing for several months now.

The issue for me is when the classic car market is going to flatten or burst. That will be when the debt crisis finally hits; some say next March-ish. Who knows?

I'm selling my C4 Corvette but waiting until next Spring. No-one (here in France) wants a tail-happy-in-the-rain Yank in the winter.

I think you're right to test the market and your pricing is there or thereabouts imho. If it doesn't sell now, put it back in the garage and advertise next Spring. It may be worth a little more then. If you need to sell now, then sadly you may have to drop the price if it doesn't sell this time round.

I commiserate with your predicament - I lost the house when I divorced and had to sell my 2 Audis ... 100LS and 100GL which were replaced with a ... Citroen Dyane. Things will improve for you, though. Good luck.

Very nice looking car. Its a pity the solicitors are the only winners here:mad:
Hope you get a good price

Lousy time to sell, so close to Christmas. But needs must, and in the end it’s only an asset. You wil get another one someday.

The former. I don't want to sell it and it feels like finally these will gain the interest they richly deserve in the next year reflecting in prices but I have nowhere for her now and already late on the sols Invoices
Been watching prices rise steadily on the R129s and now the 320s are being pulled up after the 500s. Prices have been climbing for several months now.

The issue for me is when the classic car market is going to flatten or burst. That will be when the debt crisis finally hits; some say next March-ish. Who knows?

I'm selling my C4 Corvette but waiting until next Spring. No-one (here in France) wants a tail-happy-in-the-rain Yank in the winter.

I think you're right to test the market and your pricing is there or thereabouts imho. If it doesn't sell now, put it back in the garage and advertise next Spring. It may be worth a little more then. If you need to sell now, then sadly you may have to drop the price if it doesn't sell this time round.

I commiserate with your predicament - I lost the house when I divorced and had to sell my 2 Audis ... 100LS and 100GL which were replaced with a ... Citroen Dyane. Things will improve for you, though. Good luck.
Thanks 🙏 I feel your pain and appreciate your kind words. Good luck with your C4!

Lousy time to sell, so close to Christmas. But needs must, and in the end it’s only an asset. You wil get another one someday.
I hope so. Already sold my '71 MGB GT and my 3yo son now says; 'MG! You sold your MG Daddy?..' every time he sees those yellow/gold minis which remind him of my GT which he loved.. 🙁

Personally I would try to retain the car. Just make sure that it isn’t part of the settlement !!
Never a good time in life but try to be civil about it and be nice… being anything else just adds to the bill.

Hope you have a reserve on it. 6.5 hrs left & its only at £4750. Would stick in bid myself as I really like them, but it would probably never be used.

Hope you have a reserve on it. 6.5 hrs left & its only at £4750. Would stick in bid myself as I really like them, but it would probably never be use
There is a reserve but I have to sell to pay Solicitors latest bill.. The great thing about MB's of this period is with annual maintenance they work when you do get round to enjoying them! I think the R129 is a perfect modern classic. Enough electrical assistance to assist and not annoy (or go wrong) but bags of usability and character. Sounds better than a Rapide I chauffeured for AM

Personally I would try to retain the car. Just make sure that it isn’t part of the settlement !!
Never a good time in life but try to be civil about it and be nice… being anything else just adds to the bill.
Thanks. I'm quite reasonable and civil but its a balance between answering the lies and paying the bills or ignoring them against your instincts. Well, until the money runs out then you sell your beloved toys..

Wives and cars. Sometimes it's better to just cut your losses and move on. There's only so much luggage that's worth dragging along after you.

As has been said, Winter is the worst season to sell, but it's been a toppy year for used car sales, so values are high.

Grit the teeth, let it go at the right price.

And next year's a new start. There will be new priorities. One way or another.

Sold today to a happy new owner! £7500 (£7995 if you include the comission less £175 consignment cost) Good service by Trade Classics though excellent listing and gone quick. Bitter sweet loss and no longer have the R129 to go with my username..

Reading the add, and considering its the depths of winter Id say that's a reasonable value.
In the summer you may have bagged another grand, but that's convertibles for you ! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom