R129 keys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If it were possible to by-pass the immobiliser, without disabling the central locking, would you do it?

Dec

Only the IR sets the immobiliser, central locking works fine (no immobiliser) from the key so the question doesn't arise.

Easy enough to bypass the immobiliser on pre facelift cars @ the K38 lockout relay.

Your advice on here has been best i have seen...the SL Shop seemed totally clueless on the topic:crazy: but to be fair probably not aware that much about MB key supply deletion....

So, mine is a 1992MY R129, have a look at attached pic of my keys, it has a aftermarket immobilizer fob which has a docking port close to ignition, red light flashes then when connected full light for 20sec so i can start car...i presume this is aftermarket and fitted in the past to bypass MB immobilizer? or would this have been dealer fit? the car has alarm company stickers on it so i think aftermarket...does this fob stick have a battery inside?

Not seen that before. What does the alarm window sticker say?

I think that’s only used if your flip out key fails to unlock the car, if you can’t unlock the car, electronically, with the flip out remote then you can’t disarm the Mercedes immobiliser so the car won’t start… and the alarm won’t disarm, so, plugging that in should disarms the Mercedes immobiliser and disarm the car alarm so the car will start.

That would be too small for batteries, if it needs power, it probably gets it from the socket.

Do you ever test the car alarm to see if it works?

Dec

I have a 1997 SL500 with only one key and the Infa red key button needs a firm press now, plus it's got a broken case. I'm living overseas at the moment and the car is in the UK. I was hoping to get a replacement key next Spring. Does this mean it's impossible, or can I get a new key cut and replace the insides into a new case? A little worried now....

You need to buy the correct fob case from ebay and transfer the PCB and the key blade and spring mechanism into the new case.
You must also find and transfer the transponder chip into the new fob case.

1993681d1476267418-1997-w202-c230-wont-start-after-mercedes-remote-key-fob-case-swap.jpg

Avoid glue on the two halves of the case if possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUyICQOWLY

[YOUTUBE]diUyICQOWLY[/YOUTUBE]

Dec

Last edited:
Hi Dec,

The car alarm definitely works as it went off in the summer once, the fob does not work (did change batteries), you lock the car with the flip-key which is fine, then start the car as i detailed above...the window sticker is just the company who fitted it...i do think your correct and that at some point in the past the system has been by-passed.:confused: now thinking this may offer a solution for others:dk:

Not seen that before. What does the alarm window sticker say?

I think that’s only used if your flip out key fails to unlock the car, if you can’t unlock the car, electronically, with the flip out remote then you can’t disarm the Mercedes immobiliser so the car won’t start… and the alarm won’t disarm, so, plugging that in should disarms the Mercedes immobiliser and disarm the car alarm so the car will start.

That would be too small for batteries, if it needs power, it probably gets it from the socket.

Do you ever test the car alarm to see if it works?

Dec

Last edited:
Can you see what’s in the video when you test press the button continuously?
You have to view the end of the fob through a digital/mobile phone camera to see the infrared light flash.
If you don’t see what’s in video then maybe the button is gone inside remote, common and repairable problem.

Dec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQhwvjw29NA

[YOUTUBE]zQhwvjw29NA[/YOUTUBE]

.i presume this is aftermarket and fitted in the past to bypass MB immobilizer? or would this have been dealer fit? the car has alarm company stickers on it so i think aftermarket...does this fob stick have a battery inside?

More likely it's to give it an immobiliser in the first place, I suspect they weren't standard fit back in 92.

Last edited:
My '94 has the same setup as David's. The plain metal 'dumb' key will work the central locking, and there's an aftermarket immobiliser fitted because the OE alarm/immobiliser has an intermittent fault - not responding to the IR remote.

The alarm and OE immobiliser can only be set with the IR remote (which also activates the central locking), but if the car then refuses to unlock with the remote, the alarm and OE immobiliser cannot be disabled.

Thanks to all contributors. With the information you provided and careful scrutiny of the handbook I can confirm the car does not have a factory fitted immobiliser and the IR key only operates the central locking and alarm system. I assumed that as the key cost £244 and I had to produce my registration document and a photo of the VIN number it did substantially more. The car has an after market security system fitted which is currently at odds with the alarm system but a visit to an auto electrician should rectify this I can now source a key blank and save quite a bit of money. Thanks to all of you for your advice and I will of course post any further developments

I sourced a key fob and blank key on e-bay from automobile-locksmith for £11.60. I had the key cut and it works. I do not use the IF key to open the door the new key opens the door with the central locking working and starts the vehicle I don't think it sets the alarm but as my car has an aftermarket system I am happy with that

I sourced a key fob and blank key on e-bay from automobile-locksmith for £11.60. I had the key cut and it works. I do not use the IF key to open the door the new key opens the door with the central locking working and starts the vehicle I don't think it sets the alarm but as my car has an aftermarket system I am happy with that

a friend has complete set with locks etc and key fob would like £200 ono if anybody interest ping me

Does anyone know where I can buy a new / replacement empty key fob, so that I can transfer the internals from my 'one and only' remote key! I know I can get something from Ebay, but I worry it won't be good quality.

Is it an easy job to take a part and transfer the bits?

I'm hoping that a simple solution to replacement keys will happen soon.

I went in to my local dealer (Ashford Kent) over the weekend to enquire about a new key for my 1995/1996 SL - I was told that it was still available and would have to come from Germany on a 7 day lead.

As I did not have the V5 or car with me I was unable to place the order but was informed 100% they where in stock and it wouldn't be an issue.

As I only have a single key for my car, i will be getting another ordered for £207 all in.

They service / parts chap was very helpful, I did mention that other owners had reported difficulties in obtaining keys, to which he was very informed and said it will be a case by case example due to the different systems fitted to each car.

Interesting, I have a 1997 car and I was told by Lookers Mercedes in Brighton: "Unfortunately we are unable to supply a complete key for your vehicle however the batteries can be replaced and we can order a metal key blade for emergency use.
In order to order a new blade I would need copies of the V5 document , photo ID from yourself ideally photo card driving licence, a picture of the chassis stamp located on the b pillar , payment in advance and a form filling out in our showroom

However, mercedesreplacementkeys.co.uk emailed me this week saying that if I take my car to them, with my current remote key, they can supply a new flip key with transponder and remote central locking. Great news!

Apparently the keys are now available again - guess the fatherland arranged a new batch.

Had an email today to say that these keys are now available again at the dealers

My '97 has never had a 'credit card' key - anybody know if those are available?

cost of new flip key please? the old owner of my car told me last year merc wanted £1000 for a new key and I wouldn't pay that clearly.

When I got my SL almost two years ago it came with just the one key with the IR remote fob , which didn't work anyway . On putting new batteries in and syncing it worked for a few days before going flat again .

Since I didn't like the big clunky fob anyway , I ordered two standard master keys , a valet key and a skeleton key to keep in my wallet . These keys were basically the same as my W126 and W124 ones , the set costing something like £80 .

My car locks/unlocks ( central locking never worked ) and starts just fine with the standard keys .

There is an alarm/immobiliser , which I only know because it went off once and the car wouldn't start until I had locked/unlocked a couple of times .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom