R129 knocking problem on uneven road serfaces

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rusty55

Car
sl320
Hi Any help over knocking problem can't locate it, When going over bumps in the road at speeds of less than 40 i get a metallic knock/ rattle from the front corner of the car. Ive had the roll bar bushes changed , idle bush linkage and engine mounts changed, still no change. i removed the front shock and top mount off to check for metal to metal rubbing all seems fine. sound best described as when you drive over a worn manhole cover that is loose fitting with that metalic clunk
but under slight breaking it tends to go. brake callipers also appear in good order.
:confused:
look forward to any pointers out there

I don't know if they normally rattle when worn, but have you checked the steering damper?

This could be a couple of suspension items however, I would check something else first as it is a common problem on the R129's.

A very common cause for odd noises are the front bonnet latches. Do this - drive the car (not too fast) over a known hump which causes the noise but with the bonnet latch pulled from inisde the car. If the noise is gone, you need to grease the U-shaped bonnet pins and the latches in the front cross-member on either side of the radiator.

Thanks for posts
i have replaced the steering damper and will try the catches asap.
but braking tends to stop the noise in some instances

Thanks for posts
i have replaced the steering damper and will try the catches asap.
but braking tends to stop the noise in some instances

I had similar on my W124 recently... Thought suspension was shaky but it turned out to be a broken spring on the brake pads that meant that they were clacking around. Maybe that is why it goes when you brake. Fixed with a new set of pads...

RKC-benz said:
I had similar on my W124 recently... Thought suspension was shaky but it turned out to be a broken spring on the brake pads that meant that they were clacking around. Maybe that is why it goes when you brake. Fixed with a new set of pads...
Thanks for advice will be looking at brakes asap
I like your new R129 same model as my recent purchase as you know

I immediately thought broken spring when i read this too, its certainly worth checking.

Lots to look at - loose wheel bearings, broken ARB hangers, ARB painted finish worn off and bar loose in the bushes, brake pads shifting about, etc

I had an E280 that made about six different rattling noises. One of them was loose wheel bearings. Not had that before!

Nick Froome

Very interesting and thanks for your time now its time for me to carry out the pads hopefully v soon.

Knocking was from cheap pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom