R129 Mercedes 500SL AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon1966

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
219 Vito Sport Crew Van
Kit looks to be all present and correct, but it's a mishmash - front spoiler is embossed, rear ducktail is later badged version. Perhaps the ducktail wasn't specified originally, added later, original got damaged or whatever. AMG Japan were notorious for doing their own thing, without paperwork there's no real way of telling when it was all installed. Colour matched wheel centres are period correct, it was a ~£300 option but I agree with Simon that red doesn't really work on them. The steering wheel is too new by a few years, but it's easy to change to a proper example.

Seats look very recently retrimmed, not exactly factory but it's a pleasant combination. The advert has changed since I first saw it, there was some debate over whether it was a 6.0 motor, and the seller was saying he couldn't be bothered to perform the stroke test to confirm. I presume that has now either taken place and been confirmed negative (leaving that weathered sticker on the rocker cover as just window dressing) or he's just assuming/declaring it's a 5.0 motor now, in which case someone *might* be in for a pleasant surprise. The extended speedo is there but that's only £1300, the 6.0 conversion that would make use of it was £36k. :eek:

(Figures from June 90 pricelist)

Last edited:
Doodle knows his stuff:thumb:
If I ever seriously look into getting one I'll consult you first:D

Reactions: Abb
I just love AMG's from that period. Just look right

That car looks nice but appears to be assembled from parts from different periods. Steering wheel is from a 1998 car. Without full AMG documentation, it's a home built AMG car.

Also looks like it has had a front end re spray? Bonnet stops are painted and the paint seems to be wearing. .
Also the dipstick looks a bit odd.
I do like those spilt rims , but not in that colour. Indicators are from an later year too.

Sounds like it's a right mis match. AMG kit does make it look nice though

Also looks like it has had a front end re spray? Bonnet stops are painted and the paint seems to be wearing. .
Also the dipstick looks a bit odd.
I do like those spilt rims , but not in that colour. Indicators are from an later year too.

Painted bonnet stops are normal, unbelievably, along with the latches. I wonder if they align the bonnet before painting the slam panel? The paint doesn't adhere well to the rubber buffers and so cracks/wears away.

Spot on re the indicators. It's plausible that replacements were needed when it was imported, as they were NLA from Mercedes at that time (they may well still be). Magneti Marelli, the OE supplier, still make them to the best of my knowledge though.

much prefer the purity of a standard bodied sl r129, particularly the final facelift versions 98 on. ......unless of course its a gen 6.0. But i know a lot of people love the added bodykit

Standard 129 SL's look good in all models. Funny I prefer the earlier versions before the final facelift as I like the more angular look. I still like them more with the AMG kit though. That pre merger look, does it for me.

I can imagine genuine AMG kits are hard to come by and pricey

We've all been guilty of some modifications (at least me). When I got my 98 (M119) SL500. It was hit in the front and needed a new bonnet, grill and headlights. The miles were seriously low so I bought it and shipped it from California to Texas. It had the the OE 16" alloys and some ape tightened the lugs so hard that 2 broke in the hub. They were the extended lug bolts style and I had to use a hole saw to cut the wheel around the seats to get them out so I replaced them with the 18", W210 E55 style staggered mono blocks. When I fixed the front end, I used a 99 SL500 as a parts car which had the xenon lights so I used those as well.

Not the way it left the factory, but the parts are mostly original.

mPAI2s5E.jpg

A friend of mine has a 1989 AMG 500 SL 6.0
Very difficult to get any history on his car with regards to documentation from AMG.

No production numbers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom