R129 - New windscreen wipers - how much? :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
It is time for the annual home service and even though I have only driven about 2k miles this year it is time for the B service

Ordered most filters/oil etc from ECP and even got the Bosch windscreen wipers that fit but I thought I would give MB MK a call and get some original windscreen and headlight wipers

They had 2 windscreen wipers at the factory in Germany and also only 2 headlight wipers, total cost £174.14 inc VAT

1 (1).jpeg

I asked them about just replacing the rubber bits and he said that MB never sold these inserts as the metal of the wiper becomes noisier over time as well, that is not so much an issue for the headlights as the V8 in between the driver and headlights will dampen that sound somewhat but perhaps it is true for the windscreen wiper

I will keep the old one and attempt to put a new rubber in and keep it as spare (I just like the way it says R129 on these wipers, silly I know but there you go)

The windscreen wiper is not an unreasonable price, I paid about £40 for mine last year. The headlamp wipers are very much the opposite!

Their employee is mistaken, you were able in the past to get just the insert but MB stopped doing that some time ago, so it's not surprising that they didn't know. The reasoning of the "metal getting noisier" is hilarious though - the utter horsesh*t that dealers will troll out in the name of self-justification.

Last edited:
I just noticed for the first time in dozen or so years that the windscreen wipers have a maintenance indicator, it is a small dot that starts off being black and then it colours to yellow over time using a variety of shades. I had no idea. 1 (2).jpeg

I never looked at the instructions but the last steps says to remove the label to remove the maintenance indicator.

I ordered some windscreen wiper inserts and will fix the old one.

You may find it's also on the wrong side of the wiper, where they were only designed for LHD. :doh:

Windscreen blades from Newcastle mercedes on ebay, i paid £36 delivered which i thought was ok, check them out for you stuff in-future

Is the mono wiper for the 129 a 24 inch like the 124? Just got one from MB Newcastle for £18 and a few pence. Worth trying their eBay shop. Even if they don't list one if you use the contact facility they will put a listing up just for you if find their price acceptable.

The headlight wiper arm prices are a killer 😳

Is the mono wiper for the 129 a 24 inch like the 124?

It's the same length as a 124 but IIRC has a different offset, hence the 129-specific part code.

those wiper arms kerching! I refurbed mine (underside started to bubble with rust) last year but a plastic tab broke, managed to temporarily fix it but would be better off getting a proper replacement at some stage, but the cost!, I did buy 6x of the plastic caps about 10 years ago for £3 each, they are not going anywhere and are expensive now as well

those wiper arms kerching! I refurbed mine (underside started to bubble with rust) last year but a plastic tab broke, managed to temporarily fix it but would be better off getting a proper replacement at some stage, but the cost!, I did buy 6x of the plastic caps about 10 years ago for £3 each, they are not going anywhere and are expensive now as well
I had to buy mine as someone had swapped them for the incorrect ones (XENON TYPE).Arms are now £332 each 😢 caps are £10 each

It's getting to the point where you might as well get the similar Volvo ones for everyday use, and keep the OE parts safely in a box.

I just noticed for the first time in dozen or so years that the windscreen wipers have a maintenance indicator, it is a small dot that starts off being black and then it colours to yellow over time using a variety of shades. I had no idea. View attachment 113335

I never looked at the instructions but the last steps says to remove the label to remove the maintenance indicator.

I ordered some windscreen wiper inserts and will fix the old one.
That yellow indicator looks just like the one on Valeo ones and no doubt that is exactly who make them, if you are not bothered about it having a MB badge on it ECP do the 124 / 129 specific one for £5.27.

No need to buy new windscreen blades.
I treat the rubber with Meguiar's rubber vinyl UV protection formula.
Rubber stays soft and quiet when used in heavy rain.

Wear and tear safety symbol is quickly showing within a few years that it's time to replace the wiper blade even though you haven't covered many miles with the new blade.
It's cheaper to grease the rubber with Meguiar's and be happy.
Use a sponge and get it wet with Meguiar's then slide the sponge along the rubber on both sides.
Then you're good to go and you have also saved a few quids. :thumb:
Works every time for me.

That yellow indicator looks just like the one on Valeo ones and no doubt that is exactly who make them, if you are not bothered about it having a MB badge on it ECP do the 124 / 129 specific one for £5.27.
the ones from MB are made by Bosch but yes you can get non MB branded ones for a lot less, (not headlight wiper)

No need to buy new windscreen blades.
I treat the rubber with Meguiar's rubber vinyl UV protection formula.
Rubber stays soft and quiet when used in heavy rain.

Wear and tear safety symbol is quickly showing within a few years that it's time to replace the wiper blade even though you haven't covered many miles with the new blade.
It's cheaper to grease the rubber with Meguiar's and be happy.
Use a sponge and get it wet with Meguiar's then slide the sponge along the rubber on both sides.
Then you're good to go and you have also saved a few quids. :thumb:
Works every time for me.
I will give that a go in future, mine were actually split at both ends and were beyond redemption. for those mega expensive headlight wipers this will be a good preventive measure

the ones from MB are made by Bosch but yes you can get non MB branded ones for a lot less, (not headlight wiper)

They're no longer Bosch but AL which I believe is owned by bosch.Their fitment is a bit his and miss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom