r129 oil, sorry asked many times before but

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
Hi

I checked my service records and in the past 10 years my R129 has had

• Mobil 1 0w40 from the MB in Milton Keynes
  • Ineo 5w30 (indie)
  • and "unknown brand" 10W40 (indie)

on ECP they currently suggest you buy

• Mobil Super 2000 X1 Engine Oil - 10W-40 but this is semi synthetic and MB 229.1
however in my garage I found some Mobil Synt S 5W40 left from a previous service which is now replaced with
  • Mobil Super 3000 X1 Engine Oil is fully synthetic and MB 229.3
I have read some threads on this board and others and which current engine oils are suitable for the M119 engine

they eBay shops of the MB dealers are currently not open for business

Also checked on Opie Oils - Automotive Oils, Fluids & Parts and they either suggest 10W-40 (semi synthetic) or 5W-40 (full syntethic)

Happy to stick with Mobil oils just a matter of 10W40 or 5W40

What do you use in your r129 with m119 engine?

Changing between fully and semi synthetic oil is not a good idea. Changing brands ? well I was using Shell and topping up with about a litre between services ie 10K By chance I spotted a deal on 20 Ltrs of genuine MB oil and the need to top up stopped.

As long as it meets the minimum approval of 229.3 it will be fine. I'd use 229.3 genuine oil and filter. I do in my workshop.

M113 - 0W40 or 5W40
M119 - 15W50

Tried 0W40 in my M119 engines and they just got noiser.

Always synthetic with these cars

I did a lot of research on this topic last year when I did the servcie on my R129 1998 SL 320 (IL6) Off the top of my head I cant rememeber the engine code :oops:

Its quiet an topic to research and you may end up more confused after !
Rememeber oils have come along way since these engines were designed and fully synthetic wasnt such a "thing" back then.

Anyway, I followed the owners book which gives you several choices, checked on Castrols web site for reference and used Castrol 10-40 Magnatec semi.
The owners book does not state you have to use fully synthetic oil.

There was some argument on a US forum and some guys were saying, its a Mercedes, not a lawn mower engine you should use the very best fully synthetic oil.
To which another poster came back saying find any official document from MB that states you should only use fully synthetic oil in these engines.
No reply came back

Your local MB dealer will probably use fully synthetic because thats what they stock in the workshop and can charge you a lot of money for it. It wont hurt the engine, but chances are unless race the car and do big miles, you wont get any benifit.

10-40, 5-40, 0-40, Fully synth, semi synth, choose what you want. The import thing is the change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

Just my 2p worth ;)

I did a lot of research on this topic last year when I did the servcie on my R129 1998 SL 320 (IL6) Off the top of my head I cant rememeber the engine code :oops:

Its quiet an topic to research and you may end up more confused after !
Rememeber oils have come along way since these engines were designed and fully synthetic wasnt such a "thing" back then.

Anyway, I followed the owners book which gives you several choices, checked on Castrols web site for reference and used Castrol 10-40 Magnatec semi.
The owners book does not state you have to use fully synthetic oil.

There was some argument on a US forum and some guys were saying, its a Mercedes, not a lawn mower engine you should use the very best fully synthetic oil.
To which another poster came back saying find any official document from MB that states you should only use fully synthetic oil in these engines.
No reply came back

Your local MB dealer will probably use fully synthetic because thats what they stock in the workshop and can charge you a lot of money for it. It wont hurt the engine, but chances are unless race the car and do big miles, you wont get any benifit.

10-40, 5-40, 0-40, Fully synth, semi synth, choose what you want. The import thing is the change the oil and filter on a regular basis.

Just my 2p worth ;)

As long as it meets approval 229.3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom