r129 on trickle charge but windows still dropping a third of the way after 2 days of not being used

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasmine

Car
sl500 r129
1997 r129 window problem
when car isnt used much the window memory is lost as in window drop is a third when opening door instead of the 10mm ish it should be
ive left the battery on trickle charge but the windows still drop a third after leaving for a couple of days after a re set
no other faults that i know of and she starts with no problems

any ideas gents ( ladies )

Perhaps they just require resetting again after the battery was low.

press and hold down the window switch and keep it held down for five seconds, with the window down, then press and hold it to up and again hold it for a further five seconds with the window in the up position.
repeat for the other window.

see if that works... if not I would test the battery voltage to make sure it is charging.

thanks for that, unfortunately ive reset the windows regularly but same outcome, battery charging as it should and voltage is fine

I'm intrigued. Mine only does that when the battery has been disconnected.
I would have suggested checking that the battery terminals are well connected but the fact that it starts would suggest a good connection.
How is your trickle charger connected?

I'm intrigued. Mine only does that when the battery has been disconnected.
I would have suggested checking that the battery terminals are well connected but the fact that it starts would suggest a good connection.
How is your trickle charger connected?
hi trickle charger connected neg to neg ,pos to pos ,
have kept an eye on the voltage and it and i havnt seen it below 12.4v
saying that ,,, its not actually a trickle charger come to think of it . it tops the battery up by checking the voltage ,
perhaps it drops below correct voltage to keep windows set ?????

Full charge on a standard lead/acid battery is around 12.7V, so you would expect to see at least that when connected to any charger.

ok, so next question is at what voltage is window memory affected ?
looks like my charger might not be doing the job

My car has been connected to a CTEK MX5 for over two years now. Like yours, not actually a trickle charger but a battery maintainer. It monitors the battery, cycling through checks and top ups as required.
It is connected to the battery with fly leads to a plug for connecting the charger leads to.
The battery is permanently connected to the car.

What setup are you using?

I find it best to check the simple stuff first.
Has anything else unusual happened?
I would remove, visual check and refit the fuses and relays for the windows.
Do both windows have the same issue?

My car has been connected to a CTEK MX5 for over two years now. Like yours, not actually a trickle charger but a battery maintainer. It monitors the battery, cycling through checks and top ups as required.
It is connected to the battery with fly leads to a plug for connecting the charger leads to.
The battery is permanently connected to the car.

What setup are you using?

I find it best to check the simple stuff first.
Has anything else unusual happened?
I would remove, visual check and refit the fuses and relays for the windows.
Do both windows have the same issue?
hi , battery connected to the car
charger says its a maintainer like yours
have checked all fuses under bonnet and in boot and all ok
both windows drop a third
will do some home work on the charger im using
the car isnt used much in the winter hence the set up, i thought i had a drain on the battery hence having checked and disconnected various bits
ive had quite a few 129s and this is the only one that plays up if stood for a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom