R129 Panny leaks a little

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Indiepath

Car
SL500 De-Badged
Near-side where the front piller meets the roof there seems to be a bad fit and small amounts of water leak through. What's the best way to seal it?

This picture shows the point of leakage (albiet on the wrong side).
leak.jpg

I seem to remember there's actually a 'fitting procedure' (in WIS?) for the panoramic roof ... i.e. it's not always a simple replacement for the standard hard top. Various checks and adjustments, and (I think) in some cases different seals are required.

If the roof isn't original to the car these steps might have been skipped. The other possibility is that the roof has been damaged (twisted slightly?) at some point, while off the car. Or the seals on the top of the pillars are perished/damaged.

The roof was purchased as an option from new. I'm quite sure it is a seal problem and would like to know the best way of dealing with it without getting new seals :) Maybe I should just get a lump of clear mastic and remove that when the sun shines again (in a couple of years).

EDIT: Or put the cover back on :D

Do the seals look OK (not perished / split / cracked / etc.)?

A quick smear of vaseline on the seal sorted mine out.

Still not leaking after 5 years.

Does it leak there when the soft top is up?

So the seal itself must be OK. I'd be suspecting a distorted or incorrectly adjusted roof then.

So the seal itself must be OK. I'd be suspecting a distorted or incorrectly adjusted roof then.

Same as mine

hard top has a very slight leak from the passengers screen join - soft top is fine
I was going to set up the hardtop when I fit it in a coupe of weeks time

What do you guys mean by "adjusted" and "setup"? Am I to assume I can't just put the thing on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom