r129 polyurethane bush nobody do them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biturbo

Car
S600 BiTurbo, SL60 AMG, Landcrapper Disco, Merc sprinter, E320 D6.
Hi,
I am looking at some polyurethane bush for the r129 but nobody does them. When you don't use a car much and its left sitting its a must as the rubber degrades. I used to have a spitfire and the difference was immense. No more crashing and vibrations.
I have looked everywhere for them does anyone know where you can get some for the r129, also looking the major suppliers dont seem to touch mercedes, is there a reason for this?

Id be grateful if anyone knows somewhere that does it.

Hi,
I am looking at some polyurethane bush for the r129 but nobody does them. When you don't use a car much and its left sitting its a must as the rubber degrades. I used to have a spitfire and the difference was immense. No more crashing and vibrations.
I have looked everywhere for them does anyone know where you can get some for the r129, also looking the major suppliers dont seem to touch mercedes, is there a reason for this?

i have 2 of them larger inner polybushings for w202 maybe they fit r129?

Last edited:
Hi,

In my years of ownership I've not seen anything specific, although 124 parts (if there are any) might also work as there was some level of commonality in design.
As for lack of Mercedes product line, it is no doubt a sign of a relatively mutually exclusive market - lack of demand or enquiries because the owners aren't really interested in fitting that sort of product.

I think the Spitfire reference is a little clouded though. For a start there's a 30 year age gap in design, and the associated improvement in component quality. It's also a vastly lighter and less integrated chassis, so for those reasons the difference would be massively more marked.

Is there really that much of a degradation problem with modern rubber bushes?

Last edited:
The thing is your car has a steering box so is a little soft anyway and the idea of an SL is to be a comfortable ride and not too harsh.

Your best bet is to fit a set of lowered springs and Bilstein shocks. This will improve the handling a great deal and still be comfortable as long as you fit the right equipment.

Hi,

That’s disappointing to read :wallbash: I had indented to do the very same job over the winter.

Ah well, more money for the stealers :devil:

Just replacing with new good quality stock bushes makes a hell of a difference - by now I would expect many 129's are starting to feel a bit baggy.

thanks for all the info.
I will be looking at getting bilstein b6 shocks, looking like over 1k for them when i look online which is alot, but not so much when i think the s600 is 1k per shock. :eek:

Then its HR or einbach, dont know which one is best. The HR are more expensive so dont know. B12 seems to be the kit but that is shocks and einbach springs.

I have never driven a r129 before, but the handling is quiet jumpy.
Also with the power it dives/ squats and jumps back alot on acceleration, it make the ride very brutal and aggressive. I am sure better suspension will improve this. Trouble is im used to the abc on the s600 and its a million miles from the r129.

I am a H&R supplier.

PM the reg and I can get you a price of a shock and spring kit.

Hi,

Hi

I might know a company that makes them, I'll check and let you know
I think the they make it with a shore hardness of 80

You should still consider fitting the car with stiffer springs and beefier shocks if you are planning to use polyurethane bushes.

mazza

I have never driven a r129 before, but the handling is quiet jumpy.
Also with the power it dives/ squats and jumps back alot on acceleration, it make the ride very brutal and aggressive. I am sure better suspension will improve this. Trouble is im used to the abc on the s600 and its a million miles from the r129.

Doesn't sound quite right, the 129 should have a little bit of suspension movement especially fore/aft, it's that sort of car; but it should never be "uncontrolled" or jumpy.

Shame you're so far away, I'd offer to take you out in mine - Olly's given it a full refresh over the last 18 months.

thanks for the offer,
it is difficult when you dont know what 'its supposed to ' handle like.
All im going on is the difference between the s600 and the sl. The 500 horses in the s600 are so much more controlable than the the 380 in the sl, and as a sports car i would expect the opposite.

The car has 95k on the clock and probably needs a refresh. Which is why im updating the brakes and the suspension.

On a side note, I have took the exhaust off and it defo a sl500 exhaust its got the part numbers on it, its on ebay at the moment see what it gets. I am getting an eisenmann exhaust on order, dont know whether to get sport or racing though, I am having a muffler delete i think its called so maybe the racing might be a bit over the top. I want it load when giving it some but at the same time i dont want it so loud normal driving i might aswell throw my stereo away, being a mcintosh head unit it would be wasted.

Last edited:
The S600 has more years of development and extra trickery though, which tips the balance. However, the SL should still be a smooth and progressive drive, so as you say a refresh is probably in order. The best way I can describe it is "compliant, but controlled" - there will be quite a bit of body movement in comparison to the S600, but it should be progressive and never get out of hand.

I suspect you'll want sport, the last Eisenmann racing system I heard was fairly shouty.

I suspect you'll want sport, the last Eisenmann racing system I heard was fairly shouty.

shouty when pushed or just loud constantly?

All the time. Sounded lovely, but would definitely be wearing after a while.

Hi

I might know a company that makes them, I'll check and let you know
I think the they make it with a shore hardness of 80

You should still consider fitting the car with stiffer springs and beefier shocks if you are planning to use polyurethane bushes.

mazza

Hi

It looks like you are in luck!! I remember seing something for the SL when I was researching bits and pieces for my track car.

Its a UK company - Flo-Flex Polyurethane Limited

If anyone is interested, please read the pdf file for vehicle application before you get in touch.

Mercedes SL Wishbone & Rear Multi Link Bushes in Poly | eBay

pdf file is at the bottom, Sl R129 details is nearly at the bottom of the pdf file.

Mercedes purists, Please stay away from thread..if you dont like it..dont read it, Horses for courses!.

ps - bushes are made of 80 shore hardness material

cheers
Mazza

thanks very much mazza.

Brilliant, that could prove very handy, although now I've redone the front end with new OEM stuff I'll probably stick with the same for the rear.

Flo-Flex Polyurethane Limited

try this company they do a lot of poly bushes

you need to ring them if you dont see your items on the web site but they have a huge stock in house

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom