R129 Rattling on tickover when in gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gramey

Car
2003 R230 SL350 Tellurium silver
Unfortunately due to currently being incapacitated I'm not in a position to crawl under it and look but my R129 SL32O has a rattle but only when it's in gear and only at tick over. As soon as you pick up the revs or put it in neutral it goes.

I'm thinking it may be the exhaust or is it possible there's mount on the engine or gearbox that is a regular culprit of such symptoms?

Any advice appreciated in pointing me in the right direction so at least if I take it somewhere I'll have some idea and won't get ripped off? :)

I have no idea if there any "known" rattle issues with box on this car.

Could you not simply run somebody over and ask them to have a look while they are under there?

I'll get my coat.

Most likely an auto...probably simple, like a selector bush or clip.

Use an Indy with a great rep, e.g. Alex Crow in Stowmarket.

If it was an engine mount the car would shudder when in drive with your foot on the brake. This disappears when you drive away

I have the same thing with my 2001 CLK55, and my local tyre garage advised it is the cat converter breaking down. I just gave the car a blast over the past few days and it seems to have blown the loose stuff out the back. Problem is I now need back tyres......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom