R129 rear jacking point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pcn1

Car
SL320
Id like to lift both rear wheels of the ground and use the jacking points at the rear cill to place the stands.
According to Pelican parts website you can jack the body up using 2 jacking points located centrally under the rear end, looks like under the wheel well of the boot.
Has anyony done this using these points ? Looking at them they just didnt fill me with confidence they were strong enough. Ive been used to lifting a Jeep up the past few years, straight under the diffs and axles, no bother !

pic08.jpg.jpeg

Id like to lift both rear wheels of the ground and use the jacking points at the rear cill to place the stands.
According to Pelican parts website you can jack the body up using 2 jacking points located centrally under the rear end, looks like under the wheel well of the boot.
Has anyony done this using these points ? Looking at them they just didnt fill me with confidence they were strong enough. Ive been used to lifting a Jeep up the past few years, straight under the diffs and axles, no bother !

View attachment 114290
I have not used those. Also quite close together and would be afraid car would slide. . I use the ones under the side sill just below the official jacking points. They are supposed to have rubber jacking (thingies. Sorry can’t remember the name :)

I know those jack points with the pads. But if I lift there I cant then place a stand on them. Ive not used the jacking holes in the cill, dont you need a metal bar to insert, or is that part of the cars onboard jack ? (which Ive never looked at !)

Mercedes-Benz R129 Jacking Up And Supporting Your Vehicle - SL500, 500SL, 300SL, SL320, 600SL, SL600 (1990 - 2002) - Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

The jack provided by MB is a screw type pillar jack with a tubular arm that fits into a cylindrical socket in the sill------directly underneath that on the underside of the sill should be a rubber pad for a standard garage trolley jack. these jacking points are really for changing wheels and I would very wary of going under a car using them alone. The rear ones are classic rust points and are often not replaced or covered up during sill repairs

They're plenty strong enough to support the weight of the car, and perfectly stable if you have wider contact points at the front (front wheels still on the floor or up on stands under the longitudinal members)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom