R129 Rear Jump Seats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BRN9121

SUPPORTER
Car
R129, W208 & W204
Hi everyone,

Will this pre-facelift seat fit into my 1999?

Local upholstery place says they will modify whatever is needed to make it fit and update the cushions to the facelift version, all they really need is the shell.

I am just a little concerned as I have the bose amplifiers in the back compartment.

Any insight would be appreciated.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg

Holy thread resurrection!

OP or anyone else reading, have you ever managed to retrofit these jumpseats?

And in the UK I presume there would then need to be a "process" to get DVLA to recognise the vehicle as legally a 4 seater?

I've seen much older threads than this spring to life! The Bose option required rear seat deletion, so the two were mutually exclusive. If you don't have Bose it should be possible although I can't help with the details I'm afraid! The number of seats on the V5 is blank for my R129 (quite possibly not required back then) - if this is the case I don't see why the DVLA would need to know. But you should certainly notify your insurance (more risk for them with 4 people in the car than 2), and the car would then be classed as 'modified' ...

As an aside the rear seats were specifically designated by MB as child seats, but can no longer be legally used for that purpose as they don't meet the necessary standards. You can't fit a booster with just a lap belt, and there's limited headroom under the roll bar anyway (you have to drive with this up if the rear seats are occupied). Some people have had 3-point belts fitted in the back which is obviously much safer but probably still not legal for children. Unless the driver is quite short there's very limited legroom in the back on that side, so it's really more of a 3-seater than a 4-seater :D

The number of seats on the V5 is blank for my R129 (quite possibly not required back then) - if this is the case I don't see why the DVLA would need to know. But you should certainly notify your insurance (more risk for them with 4 people in the car than 2), and the car would then be classed as 'modified' ...

Thanks, how long have you had your R129 (i.e. when was the v5 issued?). I'm wondering if a newly issued v5 would get this or if it's not on there it'll never be on there.

Good point regards insurance, hadn't thought of that!

And agreed, these would be very much unused, occasional only, seats. But would be good to have the option at least to, uncomfortably, squeeze in more people for short, needs must, trips!

The latter, that's not something the DVLA would change as a matter of course.

The latter, that's not something the DVLA would change as a matter of course.
Right, so Insurance modification the main point to note.

And finding a good condition used set that matches the colour!

Oh, and buying an SL in the first place 😂

Thanks, how long have you had your R129 (i.e. when was the v5 issued?). I'm wondering if a newly issued v5 would get this or if it's not on there it'll never be on there.

Good point regards insurance, hadn't thought of that!

And agreed, these would be very much unused, occasional only, seats. But would be good to have the option at least to, uncomfortably, squeeze in more people for short, needs must, trips!

I got my R129 in 2004, but the vehicle info. on the V5 comes from the manufacturer when first registered.

Yes the rear seats are potentially useful to have, and we've got 4 (plus a dog!) in ours a number of times. I have to drive with the seat forward and my knees each side of the wheel, but that's tolerable for short trips :D

Family car.jpg

I think you have storage bins there without the back seats??

It's a strict 2 seater for me, so I removed mine to make way for a stereo build. 😆

Holding onto them to be refitted should I ever sell up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom