R129 Rear Subframe

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by moakesr, Sep 27, 2008.

1. moakesr

moakesr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 R129 500SL
    The ADS suspension has developed a leak on the pressure line to the accumulator at the rear, so right now the car looks like a dragster or drift car with the rear down low and the wheels having some very unusual camber angles.

I have bought a new line, however upon investigation there is no way the line can be fitted without dropping the rear subframe which it is routed over.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/experience at removing or lowering the rear subframe on a R129? Is it something I should attempt on the driveway, or am I stuck with trusting my luck to a independent? I have lots of axle stands, very good ramps, multiple trolley jacks and far too many tools, right now it's a confidence issue before I start coating everything with plus gas and start undoing large bolts etc....

2. lynall

lynall Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The silver one.
    These is an article in this months practical performance cars where the editor Will removes said subframe from a 500 not sure of age though.

Lynall

3. lynall

Car:
    The silver one.
    Just found mag again, i lied its a 1988 560sel whatever that is?

Lynall

4. OP
    OP
    moakesr

moakesr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 R129 500SL
    Thanks for looking, that's a different chassis unfortunately.

Someone must have done this....?

5. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  6. Ian B Walker

Ian B Walker MB Club Veteran

Car:
    300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
    Best advice from me is have someone do it due to what Greame has said ref weight. Easier to do if the car is on ramps (2 post) as there is a lot to remove before lowering it and freeing it from the car body can be a pain, especially if it has not been removed from new.

7. lynall

Car:
    The silver one.
    Maybe possible to take the new line to a hydraulic place and using the new ends get it remade in flexi high pressure rubber then no need to remove the subframe.

Lynall