R129 red oil - cambridgeshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mlw

Car
SL320
Hi

Have a SL320 R129 - runs well. Noticed some red oil last summer, had it checked and nothing serious found. Seemed to resolve. Same thing when we started using it more this year but seemed to stop after using a bit. Went away for 3 weeks and some stains again. ?automatic transmission or steering?

Any recommendations of reliable and non-exorbitant places to get it looked at?

If it's 'clean' red, start with PS fluid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Long time no see forum, not had the SL 320 out for nearly 20 months :(, only did less than 400 miles since last MOT, noticed a large patch of red tinged fluid towards rear of engine bay on garage floor, ran the car for 30 mins last week, and did a pre MOT check before it had an MOT today which it passed with flying colours, tester remarked on how clean and rust free it was underneath!

Anyways, even at MOT centre I noticed a 2 inch wide patch after it being stopped for the brakes/suspension section. Came home and checked the steering fluid container near front of engine bay, it was 75% full and appeared green, then checked the long dipstick which I assume goes to gear box with "Workshop Only" on the cap, again appeared pretty full ie up the 180 mark on dipstick (its red tinged), any help appreciated.

P

Did you check the gearbox level with the engine running? If the fluid is red most likely will be ATF You may have a leaking oil cooler.

I read a few more posts and that dipstick isn't used to measure the amount of fluids in the gearbox, apparently you have use a longer garage supplied stick is this true or?

The (gearbox?)oil cooler is separate to gearbox, gasket or hose gives the bother, difficulty of fix or cost?

P

If its the 722.6 5speed gearbox then a special dipstick is used to measure the fluid level but as you have a dipstick I think you have the 722.4?

My advice would be to remove the under tray and place some cardboard under the car to locate where the drip is coming from.

As said above the gearbox fluid needs be checked with the engine on and coolant temp up to 80 degrees

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom