R129 refresh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doodle

MB Enthusiast
Car
R129, KTM 1290SAR, Superb 272 wagon
The SL goes off to the bodyshop for it's plastic surgery tomorrow, removing the sins of the last 16 and a bit years.

Fit the AMG kit, remove the evidence of the phone aerials, tidy up the drivers door and see to all the little dinks and scrapes it's gathered over the last 126k. The 3pc AMG's will be refinished and colour-coded at the same time.

The interior is currently looking "pre-vandalised" as the wood trim has gone off to be refurbished.

Pics to follow of how she currently stands.

Right, here's the before shots of the main "attention" areas on the way to the bodyshop. Police were out doing spot checks, glad I didn't get stopped as I don't think they'd believe it wasn't stolen.

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

And the interior sans wood trim which is off for refurb...aka the distressed pre-vandalised look. Sadly no pics of the trim (I forgot), but the door sections were fairly rough with cracks and missing chunks.

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

Now, the $64k question. Need to replace a few of the nuts, proper OZ 10pt stuff is nigh on impossible to source, so was going to do the lot in BBS-type stainless instead

Do I spend a year and a day refurbishing the existing OZ bolts, or go for some stainless BBS ones that aren't *quite* original, but much lower maintenance?

I would use BBS ones ... unless you're planning on entering concours competitions! :D

I would use BBS ones ... unless you're planning on entering concours competitions! :D

Would that be with my decidedly non-standard rear seat replacement? :D

What are the tyre sizes on your rims?

235/45R17 front, 255/40R17 rear.

Will probably be switching to 265's on completion as there is some discrepancy. I have an AMG brochure from March '90 showing 265 (as do later ones), but the MB Service Manual for the 6.0AMG (Sept '91) shows 255.

Thats the same on mine but cruise doesnt work over 60mph since changing rims which I've put down to the rolling radius being different f/r.

I think the limit is 2.5% but according to my tyre size calculator, I should be OK. (but it clearly isnt)

265/40/17 would be much closer though.

Ive never known the cruise to be that sensitive... u sure you didnt knock a sensor when you were in the region?

Ive used 255 & 265 on these... 265 are the best really.

Pretty sure I havnt knocked anything. Nothing coming up on star either.

I saw a bunch of folks on Benzworld complaining of the same thing though and the cause was tyre sizes so I guess I'll have to put the old rims back on for a test.

Up to 60mph its fine which I think is the giveaway. 265's would be a 0.1% difference.

Just a quick note. All the drive train and steering has been sorted over the last couple of years. Underneath she is a peach.

Indeed she is, c/o lots of blood, sweat and tears on your part :thumb:

Can I ask whether you are doing a full respray or just a polish.

It looks quite scratched up on the door handle (same as mine) and you have a bumper scuff (same as mine!).

I'd be interested to know how it turns out

Full respray. The scratched handle area is only the surface, there's a poor repair underneath it, I'm removing the phone aerials and there's an AMG kit to go on, plus any number of stone chips and other little bits.

I am also thinking about a full respray since i have a couple of knocks which need to be pulled out and also a couple of small areas of rust which i want to get treated.

Do you know how much it will cost for the respray so that i can start saving!!

I had quotes around £3-4k from some of the recommended sprayers on here (Andy's Autobarn and PhirmFX)

I may have to do the same but was hoping to put ot off for as long as possible.

Do you have an idea of what a full respray will cost - just wanted to know how much of the childrens inheritance I will be spending!

Now, the $64k question. Need to replace a few of the nuts, proper OZ 10pt stuff is nigh on impossible to source, so was going to do the lot in BBS-type stainless instead

Do I spend a year and a day refurbishing the existing OZ bolts, or go for some stainless BBS ones that aren't *quite* original, but much lower maintenance?

Drew, try these people in Ireland, they may be able to help with the bolts. I enquired about the bolts on my OZ Opera wheels and they said they could get them for me.

Alloy Wheels - Performance Alloys.com® - The Alloy Wheel Experts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom