R129 remote locking & lock problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tombobo

Car
1996 R129 SL500
Hi guys

After much searching... Finally bought a 5 litre R129 beast.

As expected with an old car... Some minor issues. I have read some other threads but not sure it's the exact same problem as others...

Start with the easy one first - the key isn't able to turn the lock at the moment. I'm assuming this is because it's probably never been used and just blocked up a bit... What's the best to lubricate the mechanism? Should I just use some wd40 on the key and put it in or should I use a graphite?

Second more difficult one - the remote locking is being very temperamental. Can take me a few minutes to lock orunlock it sometimes and then sometimes it works first time. I *think* it's working better after he cars been run but this only occurred to me earlier so haven't confirmed that yet.

I replaced the key battery as a first call. Doesn't seem to have made much difference. I've also tried shielding the key and handle to try block out any interference but again... Doesn't seem to make a difference.

Could this be an issue with the receiver? I've checked the key with a camera and that seems to be transmitting fine...

As for the vacuum pump.. Can anyone point me towards where it is on a 129? I haven't noticed any particular noises with it but, then again, I haven't really listened to it.

Thanks guys
Tom

The pumps in the boot, above the battery. Get your locks working, if the CL fails or the battery goes flat you'll be buggered.

I use graphite on the locks but WD 40 will do at a pinch, it does tend to wash lube out though.

Clean the fuses, and reseat the CL pump ECU/Connectors with some non drying switch cleaner.

Use the car as much as possible, some times these silly little things will sort themselves out.

ETA Congrats, enjoy the car. :D

Yep that's what I'm worried about!

Fortunately the boot lock works fine. I'll open it up and have a look if there's anything obvious...

Seems to be working better now.

Just for clarity - is the mirror the only remote sensor or should the driver door have a receiver too?

Thanks
Tom

I think on this model it's just the mirror. You can see LED's in the door handle on the earlier models.

I've got the LEDs on the handle but that sensor (if it is one...)doesn't appear to work at all...?

Hey.

Having problems with the central locking on my 91 SL 300 24V. It works periodically but lately the door sensors appear to be receiving the signal from the key but are not locking the doors. The sensors also appear to flash for longer when its not working.

Any Ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom