R129 removing CD holder in armrest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jke11y

Car
SL320 / G500 / 230SL pagoda
Hello,

I have no use for the CD holder in the armrest of my 2000 R129 - and would like to get rid, leaving a hole that should be big enough for holding bottles of water etc.
I have had a look at it, and a hunt around the net but cant find any guides. Anyone done it before or know the dismantling process?

Thanks

JJ

There are some instructional videos on the net for taking apart the 129. Can't remember if they specifically cover the CD or tape holder (my copies are on my home machine), but I would imagine the process would be the same.

Do you mean the section between the armrest and the ashtray?

Pretty sure that's where it is. I just have the empty storage area on mine.

Try this thread :)

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/inte...ssette-holder-something-more-useful-pics.html

(earlier cars like mine had a cassette holder there, which is even less useful nowadays!)

And that sort of reply is why I asked the question - bang on! Thanks for the info. If the CD holder is £188 from MB, maybe they will let me part-exchange my immaculate version for the felt-lined cubbyhole :D.

Which, it has to be said, looks massively useful!

Am I right in saying the part number is A129 680 09 91 ? Finally, is there a good contact for mail order parts?

Just push in the sides and yank the insert out. Use the old frame and fit base and line to match the car (spray glue worked fine for me). There may be a light to unclip. Without a base bits will drop and get lost in the space under the CD rack.
Worth doing if you have a tape or CD holder. There was a box available but to the best of my knowledge it is no longer in stock.
R

If you do fine the box insert is still available please post and let us know.

R

Is there a Youtube of this being done - I tried to look for it but couldn't find anything?

RRP £35.04?! That's a big increase in 6 years (more than double), I'd get a quote from a dealer to compare with.

RRP £35.04?! That's a big increase in 6 years (more than double), I'd get a quote from a dealer to compare with.

Inchcape is a dealer. It's MB Oxford.

Following BTB500s guide on sliding a credit card down the gaps, I removed the CD holder this morning.

I was going to eBay it and buy the tray as a "free upgrade" but looking at the unit once it was out I thought I would remove the innards and line the bottom. It is only to hold things like the iPod and phone chargers etc so I am not worried about the small slats in the sides. Total cost was £0.00 as it was all scrap stuff I had in the office.

remove CD trays pushing in tabs for each slot - two per tray.

IMG_1140.jpg

pushing down on the metal springy bits in the centre where the pen is pops them out.

IMG_1146.jpg

I had some black foamboard left over so chopped it to suit, and used an offcut of black velvet sample fabric

IMG_1149.jpg

looking down inside now with the new bottom on the stripped out CD holder.
IMG_1151.jpg

For 10 mins fiddling and no hassle it is a fine end result. I`ll post pic of it clipped back in the armrest later on.

It looks good. Will be nice to see it back in the arm rest.

Did you find a small bulb when you took the CD holder out?

There is a small pair of bulbs. I will probably order the OEM tray replacement next time I am near a dealers but for just now this looks OK. Put simply, I had something which was useless (I dont even know where my CDs are never mind wanting to put them in a holder in the car) so at least now its a useful cubbyhole.

IMG_1155.jpg

Back in the car, and it looks better than it did out of the car. Pretty pleased and will probably just leave it as is. Ideal place to keep wallet etc whilst in car.

Did you ever get rid of the cd cassette rack, if not if you are looking to sell it I would be interested in buying it from you.

cheers Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom