R129 - Retro fit parking sensors ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pcn1

Car
SL320
In the near future Im looking to replace the rather large and out dated Kenwood car cd/radio/sat nav/ boot multichanger device in my R129. Its got this screen that comes out on the fascia and drops down over the heater control so you can't use it, with really outdated graphics. Im told this system was very expensive 10 years ago but now its a bit naff !

Im not upto speed with whats avalible for In car entertaiment these days. I usually just live with what ever the car comes with.
All I really want is a cd/radio player, not too expensive, and I dont need a multi changer (Id sooner have the boot space). Then I get to thinking about parking sensors..... would that be considered heresy to retro fit those on a R129? They would have to be colour coded to the bumpers of course.
The cheap ones just beep at you I think, but the dearer ones hook upto a digital display on your dash. I was wondering if they also connect to a compatible cd player so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If such a thing exists.

Many moons ago I reversed my Grand Cherokee into a lamp post, it was complety hidden behind the rear C pillar. The cost of the repair would have payed for a retro fit sensor kit and I'd hate to do the same to the merc.

Thoughts ?

Pretty short car. Does it need it?

I was wondering if they also connect to a compatible cd player so I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. If such a thing exists.

Not that I am aware of. There are now systems to integrate OEM sensors where an aftermarket double DIN head unit has replaced the factory original, but I don't believe anyone has bothered to deal with integrating aftermarket sensor systems.

If you want them I'm sure Alfie at COMAND/Unique Car Sound in Lightwater, or John Kleis in Reading would be able to do the necessary. I know that JK have fitted them to a 129 (not mine!) previously.

You could look at the threads where android installs have been done, DAB, sat nav, streaming music from Spotify etc etc reversing camera compatible. Put all your CDs onto a USB and you have it all.

You can't fit a double DIN into a 129, not without extensively remodelling the centre dashboard. :thumb:

Ah, misread it has a motorisedscreen... simple single din swap then -maybe pop along to your local ICE centre and ask for Advice?

Pretty short car. Does it need it?

According to Wikipedia ‘1997–2001: 177.1 in (4,498 mm)’

I wouldn’t call 4.5 metres short, and also the rear visibility isn’t great. Especially with low objects such as small posts etc.

Cheers

Yes Alfie ( Mark ) or Richard at Comand are highly recommended. www.comandonline.co.uk 01276 474900

According to Wikipedia ‘1997–2001: 177.1 in (4,498 mm)’

I wouldn’t call 4.5 metres short, and also the rear visibility isn’t great. Especially with low objects such as small posts etc.

It's an unusual shape in that you are sitting only just in front of the back axle, so the rear of the car is very short and the front is long. Rear visibility is poor with the hood up but great with it down :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom