r129 rollover bar up on one side.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biturbo

Car
S600 BiTurbo, SL60 AMG, Landcrapper Disco, Merc sprinter, E320 D6.
In doing my modification work and one of the rollover bar stuts passenger side came up but the drivers side stayed down.
Is there a way of getting the drivers side up manually as i cant put it back into place as it is and the rollover button wont work to do it automatically.
All being well the project to finish what i believe to be the only sl60 amg silver arrow will be done by next weekend and ill post pics.

i am going to try tomorrow raiseing the drivers side on a jack i hope it then deloys the rollover bar via the springs. Think this is a good idea?

No.

It has sensors that detect a 'rollover' i would imagine by monitoring G force , and various different angles and speed of change of these angles ( although i have no real knowledge of how it works ) ..

Surely every time you changed a tyre the bar would pop up if you can trigger it with a jack ?

i read it detects the springs are decompressed and it pops.

Surely this would be if the springs were depressed at a certain rate though ( as the car leaves the ground at high speed ) .... not by jacking it up slowly.

It might work , i'm just trying to think outside the box a bit ....

yeah, just dont know why one side poped up and another didnt. Noticed a yellow hollow tube not connected to anything on the drivers side. Prob not good.

I had a mate with a 129 and he had to take avoiding action by driving up a small grass roadside verge when an idiot came round a corner on the wrong side of the road. This deployed the roll bar and frightened him as with all the action going on he thought the noise was an impact on the front of the car. He was only doing about 60 and the car tilted over about 5 degrees, he said due to the verge. I guess it must be a combination of sensors to trigger it.
What about approaching from a different point and try to push the other side down till it catches?
Don

In the handbook it says that the rollover bar can be reset by doing the following;

Press the top of the rollover bar switch for at least five seconds (ignition on of course) until the drive gear is heard to engage.

Then press the switch at the bottom to retract the bar.

No.

It has sensors that detect a 'rollover' i would imagine by monitoring G force , and various different angles and speed of change of these angles ( although i have no real knowledge of how it works ) ..

Surely every time you changed a tyre the bar would pop up if you can trigger it with a jack ?

The sensors are on the rear axle, a small lever attached to a switch both sides that detect excess travel in the lower suspension arms, quite a simple system actually.

The roll bar should deploy equally at both sides - Although I believe the control trigger mechanism is actually located on one side only. If both sides havn't deployed you probably have a fault on the hydraulics on one side. They are not triggered independently and should both come up at the same time. The rear suspension arms have limit switches which are triggered in " full droop" iirc- this would occur if the car was to start to roll over as the suspension on the upper side of rotation would droop to the limit of its suspension in the initial phase of the cars rotational movement.

Well i managed to reset the passenger side strut on the rollover but it wont work now but at least its down. Also the roof doesnt work now. Prob missed something putting it all back together.

I recall, and I might be wrong, that the rollover bar is acutated by powerful springs not hydraulics, as hydraulics wouldn't be powerful enough to get it up - and also wouldn't be reliable enough. Putting it up and down as a non-emergency however uses the hydraulics from the same pump in the spare wheel well as the roof. Is the roof working ok?

Sounds as if something's gone wrong with the latch mechanism.

When serviced the technicians periodically used to check the rollover bar operation, which was I understand done underneath the car by pushing the simple push switch sensors which detect the angle of the car. Go underneath and you'll see them easy enough - it was changed in later cars however and might not be the same as mine.

A word of warning though - acutating the rollover bar when something's not quite right may cause serious damage - one for the experts!

J

yeah good advise james.
taking it in tomorrow. Got some work on it to do so ill leave it to them to look at.

In the handbook it says that the rollover bar can be reset by doing the following;

Press the top of the rollover bar switch for at least five seconds (ignition on of course) until the drive gear is heard to engage.

Then press the switch at the bottom to retract the bar.

Thanks for this, knew i had read it somewhere.

My rollover bar came up this evening when i tried to start the car with a flat battery.

All sorted now

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom