R129 roof ... Fault finding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Definately worth a few bananas!
Over the moon it is sorted ... Hope it stays like it now too.

Basically I put the fully charged battery in and used the code resetter. ( it only let me reset one code as before) Flashes were the same but low voltage did not pop up. I then set the windows and roll bar by going up and down three times and holding. Even did the lock to lock thing three times and tried the roof but nothing! Still would not work
Therefore took it for a 15 mile round trip or so, driving it fairly hard. Stopped on the way at Tesco and another Sl500 had parked behind me.
Got home and tried the roof once more and it just worked! Very odd?

Very odd indeed, but happy to hear it's working again! Yay!! :bannana:

I'm guessing it was a combination of code clearing and decent power that did the trick.

Either that or the Tesco SL shamed yours into good behaviour! Peer pressure!

I'm guessing it was a combination of code clearing and decent power that did the trick.

Either that or the Tesco SL shamed yours into good behaviour! Peer pressure!

It does show how temperamental the roofs are.

What sort of preventative measures should we be taking?

I bought new hydraulic fluid but I am too scared to change it now incase I disturb things!

Off subject ... I was looking in the bottom of the battery tray this morning and noticed some wet spots. Found the drain in the fuel filler neck was not working which allowed water to seep in around the fuel neck to the boot.
It was very small and no damage done but thought worth mentioning to anyone who hasn't checked the drain recently.

Are there other drains on the car?

It does show how temperamental the roofs are.

What sort of preventative measures should we be taking?

I bought new hydraulic fluid but I am too scared to change it now incase I disturb things!

Off subject ... I was looking in the bottom of the battery tray this morning and noticed some wet spots. Found the drain in the fuel filler neck was not working which allowed water to seep in around the fuel neck to the boot.
It was very small and no damage done but thought worth mentioning to anyone who hasn't checked the drain recently.

Are there other drains on the car?

Yes, there's one on each side under the bonnet not far from the windscreen, also small ones on top of the tail lights. There might be more, but these are the ones I found :)

Great, thank you ... Shall give them a clean our. Cheers

Hi,

I'm new to this club, I have a sl300 r 129 1991 model and am facing a tall order to get the soft roof to operate, my mechanic here has not been able to find the cause of it. Actually the soft top system was highly tampered and was a dead one, we are trying to revive it, up till now we have changed the mechanical complete soft top with cloth, hydraulic rams and the control unit, now it operates but not properly, the motors don't shut off putting pressure in the hydraulics. Can you guide us thru troubleshooting the same? Please help if you can, thanks in advance.

How far does it get? i.e. does it stop half way? If so this might be a window synchronization problem. I had trouble with my roof quite recently, where it would shut. I put the car on charge over night and tried it again and it worked, which suggest I may have had very low battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom