R129 roof seal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonthetourist

Car
SL 300-24
I have been investigating the source of wind noise after a longish journey with the hood up recently.

The folding mechanism sits on a rubber seal above the bodywork, but both metal and rubber end about nine inches behind the doors. This leaves a gap between mohair and metal through which you can poke a finger.

Can any SL experts tell me if that is right? The car has had a replacement hood in its twenty years, and this looks like a flaw to me.

Any help appreciated.

Jon

yes I have the same on mine if I am understanding your description correctly - it would appear to be normal.

Yes, absolutely correct.

All ragtops create more wind noise when the roof is up than their metal roof counterparts. What you are describing is normal.

Thanks for the feedback -especially to anyone who went out to their car and checked.

I am familiar with soft-tops and their deficiencies in general. I was just surprised that MB, having convened some very fine engineering talent to design the roof of the R129, chose to leave a gap inches from the driver's ear.

Yet another reason to get the top down :)

Jon

TBH I suspect that gap will contribute very little to the noise factor.

It's also a necessary evil to allow the folding to take place, as if it was solidly joined in that location there would be much more bunching and wear on the hood material.

think thats common to pretty much every SL going back from the R129... Its just the only way the hood can hinge properly.

Yup, it's right. I have to say having had more "modern" convertibles the noise in my R129 was somewhat of a shock.

Apparently they're luxurious in comparison to the R107. Is that the equivalent of motoring in a silver cross pram then??

Top down's the way to go though. Having said that I've got the hard top on it now to tempt the summer back - and doing a lot of miles over the next few days and it's wearing and damn noisy on the motorway...

Not really a fair comparison though, you're dealing with late 80's hood technology - over 20 years old now.

It was still streets ahead of what else was on offer at the time.

Not really a fair comparison though, you're dealing with late 80's hood technology - over 20 years old now.

It was still streets ahead of what else was on offer at the time.

Hmm, my point of reference is a Saab 900 convertible I had a while back. It was K reg compared to my SL's J, but had a triple-layer hood and no gaps. You did have to manually close the seal on the windscreen with a lever, and it certainly didn't fold away as neatly.

As an experiment, I have put a small towel in the car, and next time I drive it with the top up I am going to bung it above the gap and see if makes a difference.

Jon

The r107 is noisier but I think the drive is miles better than a 129. I find the 129 just far too heavy. The r107 in 500 form is powerful, smooth, solid, planted and yet feels nimble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom