R129 seat frame oxidisation - clean up or leave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SLBrighton

Car
R129 SL500
Hi all,

I removed my seat base on my '97 R129 today, for the first time. I thought I'd have a vacuum and collect any lost coins! Apart from finding some loose coins and a name card of the second owner (found out it was Roger Smee, ex Reading football club chairman), I noticed some oxidisation on the seat frame. There was a little dampness underneath the seat, so I'm drying that out. Is it worth cleaning the oxidisation up, or not to bother?

IMG_0930.pngIMG_0926.pngIMG_0928.png

Whilst you have it out, I’d take the opportunity to give it a quick clean and wipe, spray over with something useful, protective and non smelly..

Yes, I've given it a wipe over. It was filthy. Also cleaned and re-greased the seat mechanism threads as they were full of dust and fluff. I did find an old iPod from 2005 under the passenger seat from a previous owner. I couldn't work out how to disconnect the airbag sensor. The plug didn't look straightforward and I didn't want to mess it up. A job for another dry day

Regarding the airbag sensor, think it is wise to disconnect the battery before unplugging some of the safety items. I took my seat out but can’t remember how it unplugged, but was tough. Think they would need a reset from MB diagnostics. Perhaps a blink tester would do ??

The seat frames are magnesium alloy; the oxidation is nothing to worry about, just a surface layer that effectively protects the underlying material.

If you clean it off the surface will eventually do the same, so might as well leave it be.

The seat frames are magnesium alloy; the oxidation is nothing to worry about, just a surface layer that effectively protects the underlying material.

If you clean it off the surface will eventually do the same, so might as well leave it be.
Thanks, I will leave it. It's just the white powdery bits look a mess! I'm just being fussy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom