R129 seat repair and floor mats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129mine

Car
R129 SL500 from 96
My driver side seat had a worn bolster which started as a small patch 6/7 years ago and ended up being really ugly. About 2 years ago the seat base started to get a tear or 2. And to top it all the original floor mat has a small hole it in (heel position) so I decided to tackle it

1) on eBay I found a whole back cushion in the USA and that solved the bolster issue
2) I had seat base repaired at local upholstery shop. The replacement leather wasn’t an exact march but close enough
3) and I bought some floor mats online. When they arrived I concluded the shape was fine but the colour and material wasn’t quite the same (and I had to put the stud press in myself. But as it is under my feet it does not bother me much. Also when ordering the floor mats you get a choice of colour for the leather around the edge and clearly picked the wrong colour (in hindsight)

I will keep the original floor mats and see if I can get the whole fixed at some point

46A0B753-7231-4D3E-81CC-2691092937B4.jpeg

20B656D7-B985-4F98-AD5A-A99742F8460E.jpeg

It is by no means perfect but will have to do for now as I did not want to spend a bucket load of money on it. (Want to save that bucket load to tackle the suspension refresh)

Hi,
Cream interior is a pain to maintain. If every inch of the interior was detailed you might have a whole new palette of creams. As we know, the various fabrics and materials of the interior show colour discrepancies as they age, more than a darker interior. I think mb aced it in the last 10? Years with the cream seat bases and backs and then everything below that in black.
I had/have a palamino interior merc(now rotting away sadly) and i put dark brown (brazil) mats in it because i couldn't face the cleaning. And they looked well.

In short, the seat back is great. The mats in my opinion will work because all of your floor spaces will be of uniform colour and clean.
The seat bottom while noticeable to you isn't that noticeable and it is now durable and comfortable.
Kindliest regurgitations,
D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom