R129 SL 280 Owners Manual..... ANYWHERE????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Headscratcher

Car
SL
I have bought a 2000 R129 SL280, but it did not come with the owners manual in any form.

Short term I have downloaded the manual for a SL500, so things like how the roof works etc. are solved, but obviously has zilch once it comes to engine and other mechanical details.

So, like many before me, I then tried to find the correct manual. I have found one for - literally - every other R129 model, EXCEPT the 280. Well not quite true, as I found one with the minor issue it was in German.

Has anyone out there had more success than me.....? Thanks for any heads-up!

Certainly for my 1997 car the handbook is for the "SL Class", and is not specific to one particular engine.

Certainly for my 1997 car the handbook is for the "SL Class", and is not specific to one particular engine.
Yes, all the manuals I have found cover a range of engines depending on date; 300/320/500/600 often seem to be in the same handbook. But not the 280. And where I can access the content - it is so, the 280 isn't mentioned.

My 1997 handbook certainly mentions the 280. Maybe the ones you have found are older - the 280 replaced the 300 in the 1994 model year.

My 1997 handbook certainly mentions the 280. Maybe the ones you have found are older - the 280 replaced the 300 in the 1994 model year.
Interesting. I've downladed a 2000 handbook, which is just for the 500/600. Does yours list the 280 on the cover/inside as one of the models covered, or is just in the anyway? As I can download I think a 320/500/600 manual, and maybe that has the 280 in as well......

What's the difference in the operation/options in the various engine models. Most that I have seen are identical in operation/driving/locking etc.. only the maintenance and engine spec tables are different?

Interesting. I've downladed a 2000 handbook, which is just for the 500/600. Does yours list the 280 on the cover/inside as one of the models covered, or is just in the anyway?

Mine just says "SL-Class Owner's Handbook". The different engines are only mentioned in the technical specs. (weights/capacities/performance/fuel consumption/etc.) towards the back.

PS I seem to remember the 280 being discontinued before the rest of the R129 range, so very late manuals may only mention the 320/500/600. And I don't think the 280 was ever sold in the US, so handbooks for that market won't include it.

PS I seem to remember the 280 being discontinued before the rest of the R129 range, so very late manuals may only mention the 320/500/600. And I don't think the 280 was ever sold in the US, so handbooks for that market won't include it.
The 280 was made 1994-7, but then reintroduced in 1998. Mine is a 2000 car. I think the issue will be that it was not sold as you say in the US, so won't be covered by their manuals..... so I need a UK spec manual....

PS have you asked at a dealer about getting a handbook?

Yep. I know they were different engines, but both designated 280. Thus making it even more complicated to know what is out there.
I will try Mercedes, haven't yet, but have seen several online reports to the effect that they are not available.

It is obviously true that much of the data is common across all cars, but I don't have basic info relevant to the engine - type of oil even; and no way to know for sure what is common, and what is not. Just be nice to have info I can 100% trust.....

Would this website provide any info you might want?
Fraid not, I'd tried that. If I put the VIN in just comes up as 'no designation recognised', and 280sl they list it the earlier SL type, not the R129. Plus to access anything you are forced to allow the site to change your browser - I think not!

What I need seems to be this:

But the only listings I've found show it long 'out of stock'. The pic confirms that DOES cover the 280...

Attachments

• sl280.JPG
    sl280.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Plus to access anything you are forced to allow the site to change your browser - I think not!
Really? What browser are you using? I'm on Chrome and no requests to change for me

Really? What browser are you using? I'm on Chrome and no requests to change for me
Firefox. If I click the 'download' button - there are two, one claiming to be 'Manuals Directory'. one 'Manuals Library', and I'm not even sure is really a download button at all - but on each to get any further I have to click a button to switch my browser to Yahoo.... or whatever it switches to claiming to be Yahoo.....

But I was wrong above - the 280 IS the right car.... just pretty sure I won't get the manual clicking those links!
Right... my bed time..... will check in tomorrow. Thanks guys for the support.

Wonder what the previous owner of the car did with the handbook. Do you have the service history booklet?

Wonder what the previous owner of the car did with the handbook. Do you have the service history booklet?
I have spoken to the last owner - he's getting on a bit, and not the easiest to communicate with. But as I understood him he didn't get either when he bought the car.

Now clearly it would be VERY much better with the full service history and handbook..... but I did manage to speak to the chap who had MOT'd it for many years for the 2nd owner. He said he couldn't give me the guys name, but he was still a customer and looked after his cars fastidiously. In fact he remembered the car very well as soon as I mentioned some details. Seems the then owner had a relationship of some sort with a local garage, and they had done all the work needed for him, not necessarily charged for. Sadly that garage has now closed down. I suspect the handbook got sold separately - £100 minimum if you can even find one, which as you know I can't!

But the MOT history and the condition of the car support his view, so got some money off the price and took a chance - I was buying with a warranty from a classic car garage, very good guys who love their cars, so minimised the risk as well as possible. But it's a Designo, I loved it, so fingers crossed... but I think it's gorgeous lol!

Attachments

• BKUX3166.JPG
    BKUX3166.JPG
    577.2 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom