R129 SL 60 AMG New struts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Les

Car
1997 SL60
I've bought new front struts for my '97 SL 60 but dont know what the torque wrench settings are for the bolts that secure to the hub. Does anybody knoww the settings or is there a manual available or a web site that has this stuff?

I'm also replacing the strut top mounts but was unimpressed with local merc dealer. Any suggestions on alternative source either mercedes or aftermarket if good quality?

Thanks
Les

One of the first things to do would be to get hold of the EPC and work through the parts you need. Once you get the correct part numbers, you will find a lot of quality alternatives around. The likes of Bilstein and Sachs have good sites that you can work from once you have part numbers, as well as just googling. I did this with my w124- took quite a few hours of research, but I have no doubt I saved about £500 on the suspension parts.

Thanks for that - Excuse ignorance whats the EPC? - sounds like the parts manual and where could I find one?

R129 Strut Mount Replacement - Mercedes-Benz Forum

IRRC
Strut to steering knuckle bolts 110Nm

Strut steering knuckle clamp nut 110Nm if its a M12x1.5 and 200Nm if its a M14x1.5

Use new self locking bolts and nuts.

Bear in mind also the torque will vary according to the tensile strength/ thread pitch of the bolt and whether its lubricated or not- this why its always best to use new Mercedes self locking bolts/ nuts in these circumstances.
Metric Bolt Torque Chart

These are pretty vital suspension components - only attempt this if you know what you are doing. Try to gauge how tight the bolts are when undoing them.

Figures to be used at your own risk. You may wish to confirm from other sources.

Last edited:
Thanks
EPC very useful.
Have ordered workshop manual off ebay. Between the two should have it sussed.

Top strut mounts; ONLY use those from Mercedes, expensive but will last another 100000 miles. What struts did you get - Bilsteins or Sachs? You must also replace the rubber gaiters and the high density foam rebounders.

Rof thanks

Have bought QH Quintin Hazell top mounts - good name and price - will see how they perform.
I have bought Bilstein struts - got them off ebay last year - they have Lorenser stickers on them - allegedly a bit stiffer than standard. Will find out when I fit them.
Still to get the foam rebounders.

Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom