R129 SL - ADS switch not illuminating.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hartzpartz

Car
E200 W210 (ex 500SL, ML55 and 190 Cosworth owner).
Has anyone removed any of the console switches on their R129 SL?

The night-time illumination of my ADS switch doesn't appear to work so I assume there is a small bulb unit in the switch itself?

Does the wooden trim have to be removed? (and if so, how is it secured?). Looks expensive so I thought I'd seek advice before charging in!

Thanks in advance.

The switches are N/S unless you take them apart. You also need to remove the wood trim. I have a video for this - not hard, but fiddly and will take about an hour to remove and refit.

Edit - Video Uploaded:

Last edited:
Last night as I was turning off the ignition, I noticed that the switch momentarily lit up (a very brief flicker). I'm assuming from this event that the fault may lie elsewhere, although it's strange that the other switches illuminate correctly.

Anyone got a wiring diagram for the ADS circuit?

Hartzpartz said:
Anyone got a wiring diagram for the ADS circuit?

If it's just the night-time illumination (i.e. the red light goes on and off OK when you operate the switch) I doubt it's anything to do with the ADS itself.

Out of interest, what year is the car?

I have wiring diagrams for cars up to 1996 - it should be very easy to test without one though. All the switches should share the same pin or wire colour for illumination.

Thanks for your replies .........

I have now read my manual properly and although the ADS fault warning light (in the instrument cluster) lights up when the ignition is on and then goes out with the engine running, I can't get the red LED in the ADS switch to light when the switch is pressed.

At first I thought it was just the switch illumination that didn't work as I didn't notice the LED! Upon closer inspection, both the LED and the switch illumination flicker when the ignition is turned off.

This is a 1991 car which had £5400 (this isn't a typo) spent by the previous owner on the ADS system so I assume it can't be anything major.

Any info on fuse, relay and control module location would be greatfully received. That wiring diagram would be useful too please (Stats007)

Thanks for your help so far........

Last edited:
First question - does the ADS actually work?

£5400 isn't uncommon - another chap bought a '91 500SL on here and the previous owner had spent the same - unless that was you? I can't remember who bought that car I posted on here.

Last edited:
Hartzpartz said:
This is a 1991 car

Being pedantic, as Stats hinted in his reply ... your car is a 500SL then, rather than an SL500.

Yes the key question is whether it's just the illumination on the switch that's not working, or the ADS itself. Can you feel the difference when you switch modes while driving? Does the raise switch work, and do the LEDs on that illuminate?

I can't remember if ADS 1 has the raise setting. Your car has ADS 2 (introduced with 'MY96), Bill - there were quite a few changes.

stats007 said:
I can't remember if ADS 1 has the raise setting. Your car has ADS 2 (introduced with 'MY96), Bill - there were quite a few changes.

Ah, ok, I didn't know there were different versions - thanks.

I thought you might say that! I don't think it's anything special - just the way the car moves between settings at speed.

stats007 said:
I thought you might say that! I don't think it's anything special - just the way the car moves between settings at speed.

OK, I just wondered if there was a way to lower the car slightly - mine has always seemed to sit a little higher than R129s with normal suspension. It's just a visual thing, no complaints about the ride or handling.

I don't think so - ADS you can only raise the car (15mm & 30mm) or swap damper settings.

ADS2Message.jpg

If you can decipher that, do let me know!

My car does have the raise switch and that all works fine.

I thought the ADS works all the time but just stiffens up the damping a bit quicker if the ADS switch is pressed?

Any tried and tested methods of knowing if the ADS is working? As I said before, the main ADS fault lamp goes out with the engine running.

PS Mine is the car that you posted Stat007.

Last edited:
ADS does work all of the time in it's damping capacity - but the ride height can also be adjusted with the raise switch.

If the fault light goes out and you can raise and lower the car then I'd say it was working.

Just a shame the LED/switch illumination doesn't work..............:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom