R129 SL beeping noise when in reverse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gramey

Car
2003 R230 SL350 Tellurium silver
I'm assuming as I can't see anything physically on the outside of the car that this noise is not rear parking sensors but an annoying warning that you've engaged reverse?

If so how do I disable it as it's bloody annoying, I know I've selected reverse because I had to move the gear lever to do it and the car is going backwards instead of forwards! :D

If you do find out could you let us know - have often thought of fitting these...:)

If you do find out could you let us know - have often thought of fitting these...:)

I will do, it may take a while though as working over the weekend and a shoulder op on Monday so won't be doing much on the car for a few weeks. :(

No worries, good luck with that. Well, shouldn't wish you luck really as I am sure you won't need it.
I've often asked MB for one of these, appears they don't have them but have said it is as simple as putting in a lightbulb as the beeper is connected to the reverse bulb in one compact unit....

So, with the engine off but ignition on and in reverse does it do it? Have a walk-round and listen. Surely you should be able to pinpoint its source.

To check that you are 100% in reverse gear, do the following:

Head to your local supermarket car park and park up where there are no pedestrians visible to the naked eye.

Engage reverse gear!!

Look in your mirrors.

You should now observe men and women with shopping trolleys, stampeding towards the rear of your car and standing behind it. Some of these people will have come up into the car park through the sewage network. This is the only explanation for their sudden appearance behind your car.

Disengage reverse gear.

Look in mirror.

The car park will now be deserted.

Spooky but true.

Just an idea but, could your garage have fitted one of those reverse light bulbs that has
an internal bleeper?

Well done that man, I had to change a brake light bulb a week or so ago and saw a light bulb like this but thought it was one of those strange things that Mercedes might do not realising it was the culprit.

That will be coming out as soon as I get home from work and have access to a standard bulb.

Thank you! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom