R129 SL or Jag XK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biturbo

Car
S600 BiTurbo, SL60 AMG, Landcrapper Disco, Merc sprinter, E320 D6.
Just wondering what the comfort, refinement etc on the 2 convertibles are like. Anyone know anything about XKs?

I assume you are referring to the r129 contemporary XK 1996-2006? The early V8 XK cars are reputed to have engine bore liner erosion problems due to sulphur in the fuel? up to about year 2000. The XK has a Jaguar autobox but the supercharged XKR has a Mercedes one- which perhaps says something? A good r129 SL still fetches good money and these cars are built! The convertible MB has the clever pop up rollover bar which is a superb bit of safety engineering For that reason alone means there's no contest for me. The convertible XK can still fetch good money as in the right colour and spec it still looks a spectacular car [ much superior to the coupe] but build quality is not a patch on the R129 imho

thanks for info, father inlaw is looking at a xk8 or a sl.
He wants something super refined cruising and comfort, not about speed.
Also reliable and not cripplin running costs. I said stay clear or the newer sl as more to go wrong and i see people here saying the 90s sl is brilliant build quality.

Father in law has an early XK8 Coupe. After driving it I was pleasantly suprised. He has had no problems with it and has had it now for 6 years.

In my opinion it looks a little "high" like a 4 x 4 E Type, and the drivers seat didn't go low enough.

Dashboard is not a patch on an R129 in terms of quality though.

Both lovely cars, but I'd take the R129 (biased as I had one for 4 years)

Remember you get a hard top with the R129 as well, which makes it even more versatile.

I had couple of a XKR's (coupe and conv) for a while (year 2005 to 2007), and when "tracking" you could feel the front end start to lift at around 120mph . . very scary.
Apparantly this was a known issue, but does give the impression that if you can feel the car lift at that speed, then much lower down the ride (around motorway speeds) can be a little compromised.
That said, it was the only make of car I have owned that has been faultless in reliabilty issues. Never a thing went wrong. Nice looking too.

Mid 2000's xk's are better put together but just as expensive to service etc. SL still rules the roost imho, just look at retained value columns in cap etc to see big differences.

if , however a 'cheaper' car is being bought ie high milage/wrong colour etc....XKs give a lot of 'bang for the buck'

bottom line.......both desirable but come on, this is a mb forum so like most here, an SL is the one I'd buy! :) (if the mrs would relax her grip on the purse strings long enough!)

I purchased new a 1997 XK8 convertible.
Classic BRG/Tan, wire wheels and a few Arden mods.
Interior is very British which is a plus over the Merc.
The Merc is a much more comfortable car as far as seating postion and ease of entry and exit.
I'd take the SL over the XK8 for highway cruising comfort !
The Jag has the transmissiom tunnel that narrows into the footwell which can be uncomfortable to some.
The top doesn't completely lower into the well and requires a vinyl snap on cover.
Styling I'll give to the XK8 as it has a much more seductive look then the Teutonic Merc.
I traded my XK-8 on a Merc G55 :bannana:

Last edited:
"He wants something super refined for cruising and comfort, not about speed."

Well in the three months of SL owenrship so far.

It's all of the above. :D

great picture an lovely car but don't forget that here in the UK, it pours most days and a hard-top is a definite advantage.

ps G55 AMG......wow !!! :)

Agree about your weather !!!
Traded the G55 for a G55K !!

I must admit I'm still an Anglophile when it comes to automobiles..
Owned DB Aston's, Standard Steel Rollers and Bentleys and many Jag MKII's..
Imported most from the UK in the early 80's when Dollar/Sterling was about par...
All RHD's which made the experience even better !!!

Alas now I'll stay with Mercs for the twilight years of my life ..
Getting too old for "Lucas" adventures of not knowing if I'll get to where I'm going !!!
I never knew if the rawhide mallet was to knockoff the wire wheels on the Mark II or to bang the SU electric fuel pump to loosen the points ;)

Speaking of old cars I grew up riding in my grandfather's XK ... a 1959 XK 150S drophead coupe (with number plate "S 150" :cool:). Dove grey with red wire wheels

car-1.jpg

Kept in concours condition, it eventually ended up in the Leyland Motor Museum. Fantastic car, I had to wear a leather flying helmet and goggles when riding in the back though!

well to be honest, i think i have a broad picture from the answers, and also what i think already.

The XK8 looks smart and british, but it has the british build quality.
The Sl 129 is rock solid built, abit less good looking but prob a much better cruiser and drive.

Money wise R129 can be had alot cheaper than a XK8.

Speaking of old cars I grew up riding in my grandfather's XK ... a 1959 XK 150S drophead coupe (with number plate "S 150" :cool:). Dove grey with red wire wheels

car-1.jpg

Kept in concours condition, it eventually ended up in the Leyland Motor Museum. Fantastic car, I had to wear a leather flying helmet and goggles when riding in the back though!

Now there's a question I sometimes dream about: XK 150S or a 300SL Roadster? If values and cost were not relevant, I would struggle to make a decision.

Something else to consider in the 129/XK8 debate is the practilcality with things like boot space etc. I've taken my 129 abroad with various combinations of the mrs and our luggage, or me with tents, golf clubs etc, which I think the Jag may struggle with. I think the newer XK is a real looker, but I much prefer the 129 over the XK8.

I normally use my R129 when I do seminars and I can easily fit in the boot:

Old (large) video projector
Projection screen & stand
Projector table
Two briefcases
Jacket
Boots
etc.

Never yet had to put anything on the back seats! It's a surprisingly practical car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom