R129 SL280 - is it really slow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R129Melvin

Car
R231 SL
Looking to add another one to the fleet for my brother. I have an SL500 which likes a drink but I'd be grateful if anyone can give experiences of the 280.

Is it smooth? And is it very underpowered or not too bad? He's quite keen on a 1999 SL280 he has seen.

200hp hauling around the best part of 2 tons. Performance could be described as 'stately', if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited:
200hp hauling around the best part of 2 tons. Performance could be described as 'stately', if that's what you're looking for.

Thank you, I thought as much. I think he wants a wafty car to commute in so as long as it's smooth then performance isn't everything. Perhaps a 320 is a good compromise. I would definitely miss the performance of the 500 if it were me but he has different priorities.

My 300SL-24 goes quite decently , as long as you like using the revs and enjoying the engine note .

Can also waft as required .

Oh , and it returns circa 30 mpg .

Being in the Trade, I've driven all of the R129's with the exception of a SL60 and I have to say that the 280 is just fine with plenty of power for everyday use.

If I was in the market and found a really smart 280 with decent paperwork compared to an average 320, I would happily plump for the 280

It depends on which engine. The straight six is too underpowered for the R129 IMO.
Although they sold plenty, so i guess some dont mind.

The V6 is fine, which it will be on a 1999.

Fuel economy?
Relatively, not a massive difference between any of the engines really, unless you plan on racking up miles.

Last edited:
The R129 is sensitive to colour and wheels Flat colours tend to accentuate the car's large expanses of metal. Best suited to dark metallics which "shrink" the car's dimensions as do wheels with an open spoke pattern. all IMHO of course :cool:

I have an M104 300SL with a 5 speed. It's pretty quick. If you find a manual option, it will quicker then the auto. They're actually a lot of fun to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom