R129 SL300 24V for £5000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Hi

A friend of mine asked me to look at a 1990 SL300 24V which is for sale for around £5000.
Car has been sitting for 18months is covered in green mould, scrapes on most wheel arches, tear in the roof, interior all good, few rust spots at edges of panels, engine oil clean, gearbox oil clean, all fluids at correct level, brake fluid a bit off colour, no plastic under engine cover in place, slight leak from rocker cover and poss head gasket although could just be rocker.
The owner was not there and the battery was removed so we coiuld not get her fired up although she was open. Also fake 16" AMG wheels fitted which look sh..e and poor tyres.
What does anyone think, he is thinking £500 respray, and £500 for wheels and he would have a nice motor, i have tried my best to put him off, all he thinks is a sports merc for £5000.

How can i put him off?

If the body is that neglected, just think of the mechanicals. Besides which, where can you get a respray for £500 ... a decent back to metal jobbie will cost 10X that and then your into proper SL money but with a barrel of hassel.

Expensive car, crummy state, crummy previous owner, *COULD* cost thousands in the long run to rectify its health due to lack of care.....or he could be lucky.

I can fax you some bills off an SL with a full history matey - they are scary enough to put anyone off buying an unknown one..... Mercs are awesome and sensible to run ..........if they have history.... :crazy:

GrahamC230K said:
Expensive car, crummy state, crummy previous owner, *COULD* cost thousands in the long run to rectify its health due to lack of care.....or he could be lucky.

Exactly........

I would be tempted to take a chance ... he doesnt have to do everything all at once....

as long as it mechanincally sound, the bodywork can wait, take a battery with you next time and fire her up ......

at times like this you need to remember this quote

"There is nothing as expensive as a cheap Mercedes"

I wouldn't just walk away from that one - I'd run

Andy

Or you could withdraw £2500 in ten pound notes , go and see the guy and tell him what a skip it is but that your're willing to take a chance on it' and wave the money at him ....

most people buckle considerably when a wad of cash is waved at them that they could have there and then ;) in my experience..

Then it might become worthwhile doing it .......

Howard said:
Or you could withdraw £2500 in ten pound notes , go and see the guy and tell him what a skip it is but that your're willing to take a chance on it' and wave the money at him ....

most people buckle considerably when a wad of cash is waved at them that they could have there and then ;) in my experience..

Then it might become worthwhile doing it .......

I was thinking £3500, the car is sitting in the yard of a 2nd hand/new dealer and it was traded in a few years ago then the owner drove it for a while and then left it in the corner of the yard, the owner was not there when we visited but the guys in the workshop said it was sitting for over a year and that it was the owners car, took the chassis number and put it into the mb russia site and it confirmed that it does not have a cat which is a good start.
I think me friend will end up buying this car he will prob offer something like £3.5K and see what happens.

I wonder how much it would break for?

Will

You'd need to hear it running and check the gearbox and air-con but it sounds cheap enough to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom