R129 SL320 - Timing chain cover gasket replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pcn1

Car
SL320
Anyone here ever changed out this gasket ?
I'm sure mine is weeping, (and I've read its a common problem on these engines at this age now) as its only the front of my engine that's wet, not the rear which would indicate the head gasket.

There is only 1 video on YouTube I could find and I've watched (not UK based) and it seems straight forward, only the guy was using some special sealant and a new gasket to get a perfect seal.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

First things first; if you still have the original wiring loom DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS, it will crumble to pieces. It isn't too difficult, you will need to buy / make a puller for the pin that goes through the front cover and top timing chain idler and into the head. It's a job you don't want to do too often so splash out on MB gasket and sealant, you are correct it is a special one and not cheap iirc. Make sure you put a healthy blob of sealant where the gasket meets the head.

There is a knack to refitting the timing chain tensioner but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it, sorry.

If it’s the one I think it is on the front of the engine then it’s really difficult to get a good seal. Definitely get genuine MB parts. It’s not a difficult job but getting a leak free seal is a combination of skill and luck. Our 280 with basically the same engine as yours has been done 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years. Once by MB dealer and 3 times by a very well respected indie. I don’t think it’s a job they look forward to!

Anyone here ever changed out this gasket ?
I'm sure mine is weeping, (and I've read its a common problem on these engines at this age now) as its only the front of my engine that's wet, not the rear which would indicate the head gasket.

There is only 1 video on YouTube I could find and I've watched (not UK based) and it seems straight forward, only the guy was using some special sealant and a new gasket to get a perfect seal.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
In your shoes, and assuming you're not COVID locked down, I'd take a leisurely drive down to PCS in Horndean and let them do it.

Just my 2c worth.

RayH

It was PCS that did at least 2 if not 3 of the times ours was done. I would second getting someone who knows the tricks to do it for you.

Thanks for the reply's so far. I'm fairly handy with the spanners but just wanted any inside info before I do this.
I think the guy in the video did it twice as he used the wrong sealant first time, and he mentioned to get the "proper" stuff !

As my car is made 07/1997 (First registered 1998) I've assumed I don't have the bio-degradable wiring ?
It looks fine anyway.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom