R129 SL320 Tow bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonye

MB Enthusiast
Car
Sl320 2000
Was thinking of fitting a tow bar (temporarily) to get some extended holiday stuff out to France, was told this is a no tow vehicle, can this be right, i thought it had a shortened 124 chassis. Any suggestions. Yes i know it will look crap but its only for 1k miles in the dark mostly lol

Thought so, i think i read the tow weight in the handbook. I will check it all out again later thanks. I have approached a couple of bar suppliers and they both say the same fot the r129. Might have to fabricate one myself. Theres not much weight going on it. Thanks Tony

What does your insurer say?

Need to look in to that, just found a couple of detachable ones on google, and an old post from 2010. Can be done so will have a chat with insurance co on Monday, thanks again.

As your car was registered after 1st August 1998 it must have type-approval in order to fit a towbar ... it's illegal otherwise. You need to check the data plate on the car to confirm there's a "maximum gross train weight" given ... this is normally the second one down. If this is blank or zero (as it is for my R129 SL500, below) then unfortunately you can't tow. My VIN plate:

Capture.JPG

The handbook is a general one and not UK-specific. It's the data plate that the Police will go by if you get stopped.

I’d have thought that the fact that it’s a shortened 124 chassis doesn’t necessarily mean a 129 can be fitted with a tow-bar.

View attachment 112804Good news folks,. Thanks everybody for all the help. Tony
Show that to the fitters, it will help.

Over the years I have retrofitted towbars to several cars which are thought not to be type approved for towing. Showing the equivalent photograph helps.

Update, the SLSHOP do a detachable one and its in stock. Had a look under the back end today and i can't see how it will fit without the back box and bumper coming off so will have a chat to them tomorrow. Stay tuned 😉
Ps, will be replacing the rear suspension arms and disks soon so might be a good idea to fit the lot in one go while it's in the air.

Update, spoke to a nice guy in the parts department, he says it bolts through the spare wheel well with reinforcement bars, they usually weld them in but bolts that come with it are ok. Its rated to 1500k and 50 nose weight, not putting anything like that on it. Had to order mine, will take 5 days, the one that WAS in stock has gone. Last time i tell you lot where to get things until I have mine 😜

Update, its on its way from Germany, should be at SLSHOP by 25th. Will keep you posted and post pics when fitting.

It came yesterday from SLSHOP, originally supplied by WATLING of St Albans, very German. Left a message for there parts dept this morning, no tow ball and no electrics as advertised. Its a bumper off job to accommodate and drill for the cross member and then bolt another arm to that and to the axle support after drilling, and then two more bolts through the spare well. To detach it you undo two bolts and slide the box section out with the tow ball attached. All you will see is a small box section right underneath set back under the bumper. Good clear instructions came with it with all the bolt sizes and torque settings. Better weather next weekend for fitting and pickies to follow. Stay tuned.

Well its on, just the electrics to do tomorrow. Not quite hidden as i hoped-for but its not a big job to take it all out when i have finished moving stuff to France, whenever that will be lol.
20210529_164301.jpg20210529_164236.jpg20210529_164220.jpg

20210529_170733.jpg

Got any pics with trailer attached from the side view? ground clearance seems a bit minimal.
Tony.

Got any pics with trailer attache
Not got one as yet, looking for something around 5 x 3, an extra boot for the wifes shoes and bags lol. Will post some when i get one. The clearance in about an inch lower than the back box and tapers away at the axle so not to bad.

While you are on the subject of electrics Tone , just keep an eye on the cable that feeds the trailer at the plug socket, it might just be the camera angle but once plugged in the cable might be getting close to the road surface . 👍

cable might be getting close to the road surface .
You are dead right, i think i will bend the socket 90deg so the plug will be horizontal, theres plenty of space. Well spotted and thanks Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom